Lightweight Elk Rifle Build

Sound like a great set up,shot alot of game with a leupold 4-14x50.Have one on a 340 for probably 20 years ,one on a 325wsm also.THE NF would fit bill too.

I'm building a very similar rifle.

AnTi action w/ 20 moa rail
AG stock in the APR design
CF barrel 1:8, 20 inches and .750 at the muzzle running a TB Ultra 7
VX6-HD 3-18x44 in Hawkins rings.

The chamber will be cut to run the 180's out long.

I'd stick with the VX5. I don't see where the NF offers any advantage over the VX5.
Going with a 280ai as well?

Looking for a few suggestions on a few components for an elk rifle I'm building myself for an upcoming MT trip. Will be hiking 7-10+ miles a day so trying to keep weight down. I run my own rifle shop so I can build whatever I want. I have plenty of other rifles that will do the job, but they are for the most part 9+ lbs w/o glass.

This week I'm going to start ordering components.
-Defiance AnTi LA
-AG comp. CAT stock
-Trigger tech special
-Proof barrel
-bdl bottom metal

Leaning towards a 280 improved with an 8 twist barrel. I've shot one of these with one of my competition rifles and it does very well. Otherwise ide go with a 7rm or a 30, but would like to use this for antelope and deer too if I wanted to do more backpack style hunting.

Main question here is what would be a good scope/base/ring combo for light weight? I'm use to building accurate rifles, but I'm usually not worried about building as light as possible. Last PRS rifle I built was 18lbs complete.

In doing a little research, the vx5hd in 3-15x44 looks to be a good bang for the buck at about 22oz, was also looking at a NF 4-14x50 F1 SHV MOAR, but that's about 30 oz.

With the 280 imp and a 0 MOA base i was thinking the Hawkins LR Hybrid rings. That should get me to 800 yards w/o a canted base. I don't plan to shoot past 4-500 yards which I am extremely comfortable shooting accurately. The NF has 90 MOA adjustment, so I wouldn't need a canted base, but I don't plan to shoot that far on elk, but maybe smaller game.

Trying to decide if the extra 8 or so oz is worth it when I'm going to be hiking several miles a day with the NF. I don't care about the CDS dials on the leupold because I can do my own dope.

I figure my rifle will be 6lbs, 8 oz w/o a scope, hawkins hybrid rings 4 oz.

Rifle with NF 8lb 10 oz
With leupold 8 lb 2 oz.
Proof barrel made a huge difference in my 300wm. Great choice. I also use sig tango scope Lightweight and cost is down to $800. Shot my last buck at 800 yards. Worked great

I lost confidence in the Zeiss V4 as the zero stop didn't like to stay locked up. Could have been user error.

I use a Swaro Z3 3.5-10 with the BRH and it is under a pound. I figured with a lightweight, I probably will not shoot beyond 500 yards anyway. Makes for a nice carry weight all in under 8 pounds.

I had a .280ai.built a with a CF Barrel and Stock.
I would like a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 for it. Not sure how it equates in US$ as it's around $1700 here, but I want the zoom range and 50mm objective and it's light in its class.
Unfortunately, I have a NIB Leupold Vx3i in 3.5-10x40 that may do all I want or need for now. It also has the CDS dial to be calibrated.
I would prefer the Swarovski, maybe it could work for your .280ai

Mine is a 28 Nosler, built on a Savage action with a 26" Proof barrel. I gained a lot of weight in my stock since I couldn't find a good lightweight one it had a Bell and Carlson. For rings and bases I went with Warne Mountain Tech, not as light as a Talley setup but I like the adjustability more. For the scope I have a Razor AMG. The goal wasn't to build a rifle as light as I could but I managed to come in just over 10lbs and I'm pretty happy with it. The Beast Ti II muzzle brake really tames the rifle a lot. I also gained quite a bit of weight with my PTG bottom metal for AICS mags.

I built a Paradigm carbon stock, carbon barrel and American Rifle Company Mausingfield action in 6.5SS. All in weight was 5.4lbs, crazy baton light. Added a Leupold VX-6HD and suppressor all in weight is 9.1lbs still crazy light. The 6.5SS still has 900ft lbs of energy at 1,000 yards and is still supersonic out to a mile

I love mine 28 nosler 6.82 pounds without scope or atlas bipod.

Attachments

• IMG_20210108_094217321.jpg
    IMG_20210108_094217321.jpg
    888.8 KB · Views: 179
The LHT is a great choice for your project. I have two now and am very pleased for the 1000 price. 18 ounces, clear glass and great locking zero stop elevation turret. I have one on a 28 Nosler. Tally one piece ring base combo for mounts. Can dial to a little over 1000 yds. It is my backcountry elk gun.

I have replaced the 1" Zeiss on my Custom 300 WSM with a Leupold 5HD 3-15 30MM and for the money, it is superb. I used Talley rings to save a few ounces and total weight of this rifle loaded with sling is 8 lbs. Not a lightweight, but not extremely heavy either. When available, i am going to pick up a Kimber hunter Pro in 280 AI and have a 4 1/2 X 14 Leupold 30 MM tube to mount on it, again with Talley rings. The gun outfitted should weight about 7 lbs or a little more. This is about the lightest rifle I am able to shoot well in the field. I have a couple of ultra light rifles that are easy to carry but I really have to make sure of the rest and hold and shooting techniques before pulling the trigger. The benefit of the 30 MM tubes helps compensate for my old eyes and I find I can pick up a clear sight picture a little faster with them. Good luck with your hunt and I hope you are successful.