Lightweight build recommendation

For a lightweight build, with elk on the menu but limited to say 500 and in, which would you prefer?

• Long and skinny barrel

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Shorter, thicker barrel+suppressor

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters

MSURunner

Folks that have built lightweight rigs and suppressor rigs for hunting, what are your thoughts? Suppressor is in hand, but not sure the weight and velocity trade offs. So, advice from those that have already built out?

What do you have in mind for a build platform and chambering?
I built an 18" 7-300 wsm improved on a tikka action with a McGowen factory tikka contour flared to .730 at the muzzle for my DT suppressor.
The bare rifle weighs 5lbs 15 oz, 8.7 setup with 3 rounds in the mag.
175 Eldx at 2800 puts me around 900 yards for deer and elk, it's pretty amazing how well it shoots at 1300 yards
20220630_085033.jpg
20220118_151640.jpg

Platform would be a Savage LWH (pre-carbon) and chambering is a debate between the 6.5 PRC I'm already setup for and 300 WSM. I don't think I want to go full wildcat on this build, so I think that limits the Sherman lineup (with it being a hunting rig, I'd like to have the ability to get some factory ammo in a pinch). With the Savage, I'm thinking that I'd have the ability to get a 22 CM (TECHNICALLY, wildcat, I know) barrel for wife/kids to hunt deer with and a PRC/WSM barrel for if I'm way off trail to hunt with. Rifle would not be used as a range rig, hunting only. But, having shot with my suppressor on a lot of different hosts, it's got me hankering to find a better host for hunting with it. The big trade off I'm worried about, is if the maybe 5 shots a year while hunting would be worth the drop in ballistic performance (no free lunch caveats all apply).

Platform would be a Savage LWH (pre-carbon) and chambering is a debate between the 6.5 PRC I'm already setup for and 300 WSM. I don't think I want to go full wildcat on this build, so I think that limits the Sherman lineup (with it being a hunting rig, I'd like to have the ability to get some factory ammo in a pinch). With the Savage, I'm thinking that I'd have the ability to get a 22 CM (TECHNICALLY, wildcat, I know) barrel for wife/kids to hunt deer with and a PRC/WSM barrel for if I'm way off trail to hunt with. Rifle would not be used as a range rig, hunting only. But, having shot with my suppressor on a lot of different hosts, it's got me hankering to find a better host for hunting with it. The big trade off I'm worried about, is if the maybe 5 shots a year while hunting would be worth the drop in ballistic performance (no free lunch caveats all apply).
6.5 or 7mm Sherman Max will shoot saum ammo if that floats your boat. Brass is always in stock too,

what kind of game will you be using it on?

The 22 CM would be awesome with a can and 21" barrel and or go 22/250 with a 8 twist or a 22/250 AI and a 8 twist (what I did).

You and the kiddos are good to game on small big game like deer/lopes for a long darn ways with this rig!

What contour are you guys that are running shorties with a can using? More to the point, how thin would you go? Again, trying to keep the weight to a minimum.

I'd probably like less than is in budget, honestly. But if I were to put a number for a barrel rifle goal weight, I'd say somewhere around 6 or less if attaching can and such to it. My can is a bit heavier (16 oz), so I'd worry about going crazy light with it attached (which is where the long and skinny starts making some sense).

I have a Kimber 84M with a special contour Lilja on it. Presently it's a 22/250 AI with a 23" 8 twist on it.

Last week I called Lilja and ordered another barrel for it, same contour (follows the factory stock inlet to the end of the stock then tapers to .65"). Scoped and ready to rock it's an easy sub 7 lb with sling and rounds. This second barrel will be in 6.5 CM, I'll have it cut to 23" and will most likely thread it.

Point to all this, perhaps consider finding a used 84M and doing the same. I travel to Billings a bit and could meet up some time if you wished to check it out.

I like the idea of building off the Savage for a couple of reasons. One, I have it. Two, I can swap a bolt head and get something that I would be comfortable taking an elk with. I don't imagine having a need for both rifles at the same time, but there would certainly be years/parts of the year when a 22 CM would be desirable, and years/parts of the year where a WSM or SST or PRC would be more beneficial. What I probably OUGHT to do is buy the dedicated rifles, but I bet all the married guys out there have had the "you need another gun?" conversation before.

What contour are you guys that are running shorties with a can using? More to the point, how thin would you go? Again, trying to keep the weight to a minimum.
The bare minimum that'll get you a .730 muzzle diameter.
Call whoever you get your barrel from and see where that lands you with whatever length you decide on.
If you really want lightweight then flare the muzzle like I already suggested

Cans are not light. Mine is 11 ounce ti can. However the trade off in a shorter barrel vs the sound is worth it to me. My rifle generally has enough terminal performance to shoot beyond my reasonable limits. If I was sheep hunting I could pull the can and drop 11 ounces, if it was that important

MSU runner has the right idea.start with a 110 action this allows you to easily swap calibers. Personally I like 7mm-08 ..more bullet choices. To save weight go with a 20~22" carbon fiber barrel. Finish with a fiberglass stock. Light weight optics?? I like Leupold or Burris. Meopta has some nice ones as well ?
Savage is very affordable and if you want one gun to do it all it's the way to go. I personally have one 110 action and 16 barrels everything from 222 Rem to 300 Win mag.

Animals shot at with a suppressed rifle don't seem to spook as much. Important if you have more than one tag of the same animal in your hunting party. Less of a concern on hearing protection. Big plus vs not suppressed