Lightweight .375H&H bullet results?

Brent and others,

Barnes has the 270gr TSX @ .503 B.C.

Have any of you tried this for LR or is Barnes a no-no at LR given the potential for limited expansion at lower velocities?

I use light bullets in my 9.3x62 which is .366 cal.

232gr bullets in the 9.3x62 are available from Norma (Vulkan and Oryx) and allow 2,600fps instead of 2,200fps with 286gr.

Lead on moving shots is reduced as is, recoil and muzzle flip. I have shot 3 bull moose and a bull moose calf with the 232gr and found them to work well on a well placed shot but there is much less margin for error.

The last bull I shot was a raking shot as it ran diagonaly away. The shot was perfect for line but the bullet stopped short at the diaphragm. The bullet had over expanded and with the lesser momentum penetration was lacking.

This problem is likely to be more accute with the extra velocity of the 375H&H. A barnes X is likely the answer. That is what I plan on using (250gr in the 9.3)next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Barnes has the 270gr TSX @ .503 B.C.

Have any of you tried this for LR or is Barnes a no-no at LR given the potential for limited expansion at lower velocities? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've moved away from the Barnes and one reason is I don't trust them to make a as large wound channel at long range with minimal resistance (like a lung shot) as the softer bullets.

The other reason is their BC's aren't nearly as high as advertised. If I was going to load a 375 for this purpose, the 260 AccuBond would be the clear choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.