Lightest Kicking 30

300 WSM is the first one to come mind with out knowing what the intended uses are.Elk at 1000,targets at 1000,Deer.You need to be a little more specific.

.308's don't kick that much.

To me a .308 recoil feels about the same as a 270 wsm though. With the right bullet, the 270 wsm has a lot more energy down range.

chuckhawks.com has a good list or caliber's and recoil data. Here's the link:
Rifle Recoil Table

For target work, the .308. It's not enough for game at that distance tho.

With a .308 using a 168 grain berger vld bullet, with a BC of .512, 2700 ft/sec muzzle velocity, at 5000ft elevation, has 1000lbs of energy left at 800 yards. That would defiantly do in a deer with a lung shot. At sea level it has 800ft/lbs at 800 yards.

With a .308 using a 168 grain berger vld bullet, with a BC of .512, 2700 ft/sec muzzle velocity, at 5000ft elevation, has 1000lbs of energy left at 800 yards. That would defiantly do in a deer with a lung shot. At sea level it has 800ft/lbs at 800 yards.

The issue isn't sufficent mathmatical power, per se. It's a combination of lack of normal expansion at those ranges AND the ability to hit. A Berger VLD really isn't a choice hunting bullet for low velocities and there is a lot of room for unknown winds at 800 yards. Go back to your tables and see what a mild 10 mph cross wind would do to the deflection. A clean miss is likely but so is a face or gut shot possible. There is more to (ethical) hunting than simple, wind free ballistics tables might lead someone to believe.

The issue isn't sufficent mathmatical power, per se. It's a combination of lack of normal expansion at those ranges AND the ability to hit. A Berger VLD really isn't a choice hunting bullet for low velocities and there is a lot of room for unknown winds at 800 yards. Go back to your tables and see what a mild 10 mph cross wind would do to the deflection. A clean miss is likely but so is a face or gut shot possible. There is more to (ethical) hunting than simple, wind free ballistics tables might lead someone to believe.
What would you suggest for a 'low' velocity hunting bullet?

A Berger VLD really isn't a choice hunting bullet for low velocities

actually, Bergers are one of the best. it's one of the reasons why quite a few use them for long range hunting.

A Berger VLD really isn't a choice hunting bullet for low velocities

actually, Bergers are one of the best. it's one of the reasons why quite a few use them for long range hunting.

Agreed! I'd be more worried at high velocity. That being said, I don't think I'd worry about the vld on deer sized game at any velocity.

There is more to (ethical) hunting than simple, wind free ballistics tables might lead someone to believe.

The ballistic's calculator I used is not wind free. That isn't what was asked. I left that data out. Like Tyler Kemp said... the wind will blow any bullet.

It's a given that certain OTHER conditions must be met before a shot is taken. I see nothing wrong with shooting at a deer with a .308 to 800 yards with a 5-10mph consistant wind as long as the shooter has practiced enough to be confident of hitting his target, in those wind conditions, at those distances, in the field. That' really the name of this "long range shooting" game - isn't it?

Look at this link...http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f36/quantico-f-class-3rd-match-results-29482/
It looks like .308's can do pretty well in a wind to me.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.