Lightest 6.5 Creedmoor Components

GunsNgeeks

I have Muscular Dystrophy and am very weak (can't walk either). Last range visit was very disheartening.

I'd like to know if anyone has advice on lightweight, low-cost components for a build. Oh, by the way, the cheaper the better as not only am I disabled, I'm poor too!!! Yay me!!!

Thanks in advance....
Dan

Light weight is fairly expensive, unless you find it at a killer deal from a "buddy"

I built a sub 6 pound rem700, but I got the rifle from a family friend for $200, and the ultralight carbon fiber stock blank here for $100 and finished it myself. Normally the rifle i started with would have been close to a grand, and the cf stock would have been $600-900 finished. I also had the barrel cut down 2 inches and threaded, and lightweight scopes aren't cheap either.

I also built an ultralight 308 AR, spent quite some time researching parts to save as much as I could, I even machined to lighten both the upper and lower-- it ended up at right around 6 pounds with optic and cost slightly under a grand.

What is your budget?

Problem with lightweight for your situation is that it increases recoil significantly, you'll need a very good muzzle brake to help.

Last edited:
I have a Xanthos lightweight build...
Going Light in a large frame AR is very expensive.
I built a 6.5 Grendel for my dad a few years back. It's very light, and it was cheap to build ( at that time)
Accurate gun with decent knock down power
I'd build a 6.5 Grendel or a 6 ARC

I have a Xanthos lightweight build...
Going Light in a large frame AR is very expensive.
I built a 6.5 Grendel for my dad a few years back. It's very light, and it was cheap to build ( at that time)
Accurate gun with decent knock down power
I'd build a 6.5 Grendel or a 6 ARC
I will definitely have to agree with this. I have an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and a 308 upper. I would rather carry my AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. I had enough of the heavy rifles in the military. Wifey loves the Grendel and can't wait for our ARC uppers to come in. Even less recoil for her and still enough power for coyotes pigs and deer. So if you are looking for a light 6.5 don't rule out the Grendel.

The unfortunate thing about light weight especially in moderate calibers such as Creedmoor is that it can hike up recoil which you want to avoid. Even in AR10 platform which recoil is a bit lighter. This raises the price something crazy as far as light weight components. Again really look at the Grendel in either platform. Bolt or AR15. Personally I am a gas gun guy so I am a bit biased lol!! Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.