Lighter weight, faster 308 win load

For some that may work but when I am seeing 300 fPS velocity changes, that is not a workable deal. It can easily go from -45 to -5F here in the same day. I can't have a cratridge that moves POI that much and still fell confident at 500 yards. 748 is great for some folks, up here where we hunt mostly in cool weahter with large swings, not a workable powder. I can give up 50-100 FPS at the top end to use one of the Extreme powders and not give up 300 fps when it cools off.
Yeah your hunting season might be 130 degrees cooler than mine, and you're making the right call. It's on us as responsible marksmen to recognize our limitations. Like Petey308 said, it's also personal preference. For my setup, this is the last time I worried about group size with it (it was on a 96 degree day in July nonetheless). Now the only time I shoot it on paper is just to confirm zero before season.

Attachments

• 20200627_113705.jpg
    20200627_113705.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
I still use a lot of bullets and cartridges that have been around for decades. My equipment, methods, certain powders, etc have evolved over time though. I also use new bullets, rifles, optics, etc too in certain applications.

I didn't at all mean anyone was being reckless or that anyone NEEDS to do anything different than what they're doing. I'm only addressing those statements that also tend to allude to people overcomplicating things and doing more than is necessary "just for a hunting round/load/rifle/etc". My point is we all can be right in what we do and our approach.
I just don't want people to think that because it aint this or that, that they are doing something wrong. heck i shoot a ton of RL-16 one of the most stable powders but I also use win 748 and RL-19 or RL-25 on a lot of occasions. I feel the same way about brass and bullets. aint it great to have this many choices?

I just don't want people to think that because it aint this or that, that they are doing something wrong. heck i shoot a ton of RL-16 one of the most stable powders but I also use win 748 and RL-19 or RL-25 on a lot of occasions. I feel the same way about brass and bullets. aint it great to have this many choices?
Yiu mean we don't all have to buy our tea from the British east India company. Isn't that what we celebrate today?

I always look at the rifle as an extension of the user: they're just as unique and have their own eccentricities that work best for them. You know what would be more great? If we could readily find all the components we wanted to try to meet these needs!

I even have an AR-10 coyote rig that I did load development on based mostly on the scope and its reticle. I used QuickLoad, along with conventional methods, to team up a 155gr TMK and AR-Comp powder to get me within a great accuracy node right around 2700fps so that that particular bullet matches up darn near perfect with the holdovers on the reticle. By using QL, I was able to mess with a ton of powders and bullet combos to find what SHOULD get me what I was after. Then I just got those components and tweaked it until it all came together.

There are lots of choices out there and they can all allow you to reach a particular goal. No need to limit yourself.

I agree. When I developed this load I sought the opinions of others, and most swore by Varget or H4895. I use a bunch of Win 748 for 5.56, so I gave it a try per Barnes load data, and it gave me way better velocity and groups than everything else.
Never used any of their powder. Is it "temp stable"?

I'm running 152 hammer hunters and 152 shock hammers in my 308 and really like them I have used 150 grain barnes ttsx in past but didn't like them and switched to the hammer bullets I'm getting little over 2700 fps in my 20inch 308 with lupua brass and varget powder and f210m primers I do want to try some 124 hammer hunters soon and see how they do

Samuel Berryhil, not to in any way hijack this thread but I would be interested in seeing a separate post on your your results with the lighter-weight 308 Hammers plus your impressions of their terminal performance.