Lighter recoil

jaeger256

I hunt mainly whitetail in eastern North Carolina,and I am currently using a 308 win in a Remington model 700 bolt. Most shot ranges 75-150 yards,some do stretch to 250ish. I am starting to get older and the 308 is starting to hurt when I shoot it.(probably rotor cuff problem). Would the 260 be a viable solution to reducing the recoil without hurting the capability to kill deer at the stated ranges?

As a fellow resident of NC and being older and recoil sensitive, I will tell you that the muzzle break or the 260 will work great. Our deer are smaller compared than other parts of the country. The 260 is a great round for the Carolina's and uses the same case as a 308. Both will work. The negative with the muzzle brake is noise. So choose you poison.

The 260 is a step down in recoil for sure. Lighter bullets always help.
The 243 is a step down even more from the 260 and is plenty capable on deer out to 300 yds.

We've been using the 243 and 6mm Remingtons and 25-06 for big Wyoming muleys and whitetail for many years. Broadside or slightly quartering body shots pass completely through the vast majority of the time, especially when under 200 yds. It's pretty easy to get complete pass throughs at 300 yds with lung/heart shots. My son uses the 85 Barnes, I used to use the 95 and 100 grn Partitions. More recently, Ive used the 100 Barnes in 25-06. A good friend uses the 115 Berger with good results.

I promise, with proper shot placement and good bullets, any of the above mentioned cartridges are plenty good to 300 yds and even beyond on 250-300 lb deer.

Muzzle breaks make a huge difference, but are you willing to put in hearing protection for each and every shot? Even the close shots at 75 yds? I am not. In fact, if I am shooting deer at 75 yds here in Wyoming, it generally means the deer already knows I am there and there is very little time to get the shot off before the deer bolts off, never to be seen again.

I love muzzle breaks when we have the right protection in our ears, but a good friend is still suffereing from ear pain a month and 1/2 after the fact from being next to a different friend that was shooting a muzzle break this past season. I've suffered the same pain in the past from forgetting ear protection with a 357 magnum revolver........my left ear still isn't right a few years later.

Another option is a mercury recoil tube installed in the stock by a gunsmith. It will make the gun heavier, but weight is the best defense against recoil, and the mercury tube is even more effective.

The 260 is a step down in recoil for sure. Lighter bullets always help.
The 243 is a step down even more from the 260 and is plenty capable on deer out to 300 yds.

We've been using the 243 and 6mm Remingtons and 25-06 for big Wyoming muleys and whitetail for many years. Broadside or slightly quartering body shots pass completely through the vast majority of the time, especially when under 200 yds. It's pretty easy to get complete pass throughs at 300 yds with lung/heart shots. My son uses the 85 Barnes, I used to use the 95 and 100 grn Partitions. More recently, Ive used the 100 Barnes in 25-06. A good friend uses the 115 Berger with good results.

I promise, with proper shot placement and good bullets, any of the above mentioned cartridges are plenty good to 300 yds and even beyond on 250-300 lb deer.

Muzzle breaks make a huge difference, but are you willing to put in hearing protection for each and every shot? Even the close shots at 75 yds? I am not. In fact, if I am shooting deer at 75 yds here in Wyoming, it generally means the deer already knows I am there and there is very little time to get the shot off before the deer bolts off, never to be seen again.

I love muzzle breaks when we have the right protection in our ears, but a good friend is still suffereing from ear pain a month and 1/2 after the fact from being next to a different friend that was shooting a muzzle break this past season. I've suffered the same pain in the past from forgetting ear protection with a 357 magnum revolver........my left ear still isn't right a few years later.

Another option is a mercury recoil tube installed in the stock by a gunsmith. It will make the gun heavier, but weight is the best defense against recoil, and the mercury tube is even more effective.
I agree with this member on all counts ,243 winchester is great for the purposes you mention.I use the Barnes 80 GR TTSX Barnes Factory load(Vortex) very low recoil,shoots 3 into less than an inch at a hundred yards from a Remington 7600 and kills very well.
Although others will kill as well either the Partitions or the Barnes 80 or 85 will do every thing you need and do it well.

Thanks for the info. Ive had experience with a break and would rather not go back there. Ill look into see what available now in the 260.

I had one of my Mod. 70's rebarrelled to a 20" 8 twist 260. Love it. Can't say enough good about. That's now my go to gun. Shoots the Hornady 129 SST's like a laser beam.

IF you reload, why not try some Nosler 125 BT's and a reduced load for your 308? If you don't reload take a look at Remington "Reduced Recoil".

If you do want to spend money though, a 260 Rem is pretty nice.

I would add another + for the 243 over the 260. Not because it's superior, it really isn't but for waht you describe I don't think the 260 is the answer. The 243 with the 80-85gr Barnes loads has WAY less recoil than the 308, I know I own and shoot both.

Before you change your barrel for anything, I would FIRST get a top level recoil pad, like the Limbsaver or Kick Eze. Either one will reduce shoulder pain a LOT. I just added the Kick Eze to my 30-06 and man what a difference. By the way, I go in this Thursday (12/06) for shoulder surgery on both rotator cuff and bicep muscle issue. The recoil of my '06 does not bother either of those, so I know where you are coming from. Mine are not mild loads, I am pushing the Barnes 168gr TTSX over 2900fps.

I also added the Kick Eze cheek rest pad and the combination of the two makes this rifle sweet to shoot. I used to dread range day, but no more.

Try the new pad first, and if that's not enough, you might try loading the 308 with lighter bullets, ie. 125-130gr and matching 260 Rem speeds of around 2900-3000fps. If you reload there are reduced loads published for the 308 by the plenty.

Not talking you out of the swap, just looking at the $$$ aspect of it.
I would also consider the 257 Roberts as well. It will be better that the 260 for lower recoil and can pack heavier bullets than the 243. Many folks consider the 25 cal as the ideal Whitetail caliber.

I own a 260, 7mm08, and a few 308's. I personally can't feel a big difference in felt recoil between a 150 grain 308, and a 140 grain 260 or 7mm08, all other aspects of the rifle being equal. Before buying another rig, and possibly not achieving your goal, you may want to consider recoil reducing devices as others have mentioned. For the ranges you describe, and the size of Carolina deer, you could also consider reduced power loads. For the reasons described, many are down on the use of a good brake, but it is, when combined with a good pad, by far the most effective way to reduce the recoil of a 308 to below 243 levels. During practice, and from prone, ear protection is absolutely required. When hunting, I wear a set of the Silencio, wire connected plugs around my neck. When a shot is anticipated, it takes 3 seconds to stick them in. IMHO, it's not an issue at all.

I'd vote for the 243 also. The recoil of the 260 isn't that significantly different than a 308(just use 125g 308 ammo).

I load 85g HPBT Sierra bullets and 95g Berger Classic Hunters but plain old green box 80g cor-lokt ammo is just fine. IT is nice to see the bullet hit the deer with these through the scope.

One of my buddies loads reduced velocity 55g for the 243 for the young kids to shoot deer with and they work just fine on deer out to 200 yards. They produce recoil similar to a hot 223.

Since they got you covered on the rifle side, I highly suggest to get that shoulder/rotator cuff problem, it's going to get worst unless you take care of it. Now the .308 is bothering you, next whatever caliber you step down to well also bother you.

I had a rotator cuff surgery in June 2012 >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/had-shoulder-surgery-93972/ and it turned out great.

Recoil was not not an issue with my rotator cuff problem ... I have problem/pain with overhead range of motion, i.e., spiking a volleyball or throwing a tennis ball.

In short, find out what's causing the pain and have it fix.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.