lighter fluid on trigger and bolt

Waynard

Has anyone used lighter fluid on their triggers and bolts for cleaning and if so what kind (if any at all oil) did you use after cleaning. Also, what is the best way to keep the trigger and bolt from freezing.

I use lighter fluid to clean my Timney trigger assembly on my M700. I use the kind in the yellow and blue plastic squirt bottle (Ronsinol???). That is the only way I clean / lube my trigger.

I use Ronsinol to flush the trigger. I don't do it often, perhaps once a year, and I use compressed air to dry it. No lube. Lube, IMO, just collects dust
Cleaning the bolt interior/exterior, also annually, involves flushing it with solvent, blowing dry with compressed air and lubricating the outer surfaces with a light coat of ATF. When I don't have ATF I use Kroil. I lube the bolt lugs with a spot of disc brake grease and the firing pin/spring assembly with a light coating of graphite based grease.
I'm very careful not to use too much of any lubricant in any of those areas to avoid lubricants from infiltrating the trigger group assembly.

The best product I have used over the years to clean a trigger or firing pin assembly is electro-contact cleaner. There are various brands but you get it from the electrical supply companies. It's made to spray on high voltage breakers or circuit borders. No moisture, dries instantaneously and will flush out any debris or gunk.

Second best thing to flush with is isopropyl alcohol- leaves no moisture residue.

I run all my triggers and firing pins dry 12 months a year. Lube the back side of the lugs on the bolt and go to the range or hunting.

Thanks for the info., I need to clean my rifle up real good, don't want another freeze up.

WAY different steal in a trigger compared to a brake drum,,, been doing it for quite a few years and never had any rust

Ok so, I've used the lighter fluid (Ronsonol, yellow and red plastic bottle)on the trigger assembly and took the bolt apart and cleaned real good. Flushed everything a couple times. It was not dirt or grit covered in fact I did not see a lot of oil come off the assembly, could it be it had to much oil and that is what caused the frozen trigger.Or is that Pro Fire Adjustable Accure Trigger no good in cold weather. I was shooting in 20 degree weather. gun)

I have used lighter fluid and brake cleaner at different times.

Both work equally well, however I think that lighter fluid is better as it seems to leave a little lubrication.

Brake cleaner on the other hand leaves it chemically clean which is why I use it for prep before cerakote or duracoat.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.