Lighter bullets in 308

I stand corrected on the release year.
Regardless of their release date, while they flew great, they certainly did blowup on impact. I understand they are better designed now but I just can't get myself to use them. Besides, the Great State of California in its infinite lack of wisdom has outlawed their use on any game in the state, which is why I switched to all copper over a decade ago to get ahead of the curve in trying to find a decent "legal" bullet. Barnes are good, Hammers I have found are even better.

All I can say is on my Texas Buck was a shoulder dead right there Oregon muley's were in the crease both times through and through less than a hundred yard shot

I have no doubt, everybody raves about the hammer bullets, I figure I need to find out for myself, haha.
One nice feature about the Hammers that is seldom mentioned is that they leave very little, if any, copper residue, so cleaning is a breeze and needed much less often, which is why the barrel needs to be cleaned to bare metal before using them.

Yes, between BT and a Hammer, the Hammer is a no brainer.

Personally, I prefer the BC of the Hammer Hunter or Absolute Hunter over the Shock Hammers. However, if you use reduced loads, you will be dealing with reduced max-ranges, too. So under 300 yards you can use the Shock Hammers, too.

See what works best in your rifle. The exact reactions of a particular bullet in a particular barrel will be the final decider.

I'll echo the TrailBoss or H4895 options. I'm shooting 30-06 (not 308), but the flexibility you get with those two powders is great. I can push 125gn and 150gn Hornady SSTs anywhere between 1600FPS to 2700FPS. The SST is another one of the "might blow up if it's too fast" bullets, but 2000FPS to give you milder-than-30-30 performance would be great.

Hey guys, I and trying to come up with a load for my 308 for my boys to shoot during deer season this year. The oldest is very recoil sensitive so I'm looking at some of the lighter weight stuff. I have 110 and 125's and a assortment of powders, I usually shoot the heavy for caliber stuff so don't really have any load data for the light weight stuff.
My questions:
1. My rifle is a 10 twist, do you think that will spin them too fast to stabilize or possible come apart in flight?
2. The lighter weight bullets are mainly varmint bullets, will they hold together well enough for MS white tail?
3. Any loads you guys have used in the past with good success?
Thanks
Matt
I know you asked for "light for caliber" but I'll throw this out anyway. My 3 nephews all started whitetail hunting with my Ruger Ultra Light in .308. Since I'm a fan of bonded bullets, they started with factory Federal Fusion Lite's in 170gr. They advertise 50%less recoil and 200 yd max with a muzzle velocity of 2000 and 1510 at 200. Energy is advertised at 1510 at muzzle, 1145 at 100, and 860 at 200 yds. I have no way of knowing how many deer they killed with them but it was several between 3 boys and I don't remember any horror stories concerning bullet issues. I still have 3 of these loads if you are interested in trying them. Again, only 3 but I will be glad to ship them to you if you want to try them. I'm in MS also as were they deer they were hunting.

It has been my experience that at higher speeds regardless of caliber that the bt's blow up. My plan is for them to practice with the bt's and hunt with the hammers.

The .30 cal 125 grain NBT is a pretty tough bullet, don't be afraid to use them on game. They also make a 125 grain Accubond, I've just not seen a reason to use them with the way the BT performs. My daughter will probably use the 125 grain NBT on cow elk this fall to try and fill her CO and WY tags.

So, just a quick update for you guys.
I decided to try IMR 8208 xbr. I have a ton of it. I found two awesome loads.
1. 125 grain nosler ballistic tip
46.4 grains in Lapua brass at 2.725 col.

2. 124 hammer hunter
49.4 grains in Lapua brass. 2.725 col.

The nosler showed pressure at 47.0 in my gun, but the hammer never showed any pressure sign. It's definitely a compressed load. Average speed from a 16" Bartlein 5r was 3075fps. Thanks again for all the advice and answering my questions 2FE85FF1-DBAB-4FAF-B36C-9E00BBF5E24E.pngACCDF4C5-1689-416D-B25A-7B48DD0B211A.png

Great thread as I reload like most and can choose what bullet I will use depending on where I'm hunting and I have always felt the 308 is at home with lighter bullets.For long distance yea I know the heavies are best but sometimes you want a less than 400-500 yards and the 125 and 130 gr bullets just work!

So, just a quick update for you guys.
I decided to try IMR 8208 xbr. I have a ton of it. I found two awesome loads.
1. 125 grain nosler ballistic tip
46.4 grains in Lapua brass at 2.725 col.

2. 124 hammer hunter
49.4 grains in Lapua brass. 2.725

Any velocity data?