Lighter bullets in 308

Matt Tatum

Hey guys, I and trying to come up with a load for my 308 for my boys to shoot during deer season this year. The oldest is very recoil sensitive so I'm looking at some of the lighter weight stuff. I have 110 and 125's and a assortment of powders, I usually shoot the heavy for caliber stuff so don't really have any load data for the light weight stuff.
My questions:
1. My rifle is a 10 twist, do you think that will spin them too fast to stabilize or possible come apart in flight?
2. The lighter weight bullets are mainly varmint bullets, will they hold together well enough for MS white tail?
3. Any loads you guys have used in the past with good success?
Thanks
Matt

I will second hammer bullets specifically the absolute hammers. I can't speak to the regular hammer hunter/shock hammers but the recoil of loads using absolutes seems to be significantly less than with standard monos. The recoil of my 150 TTSX (2900 FPS) load is noticeably more than the 151 AH (3130fps) load I am working on at the moment and the 151AHs are moving ~230fps faster! And if a full load is still to much you could back off and just shoot the AHs at "normal" speeds

-Matt

I've always been a big fan of the 130gr class bullets in the .308 Win, the old Winchester 125gr SPFB was another good lightweight bullet, in most all my .30 cal's I've owned over the years. With that said; I'm assuming you're talking about Whitetail... I think I'd move up to the 150gr class for Mule.

Good input guys. I've never tried the hammer bullets, but sounds like I need to. Any powders that excel in these weight bullets? What about the stabilization issue?
thanks
Being a monolithic you shouldn't have to worry about over spinning them. There's no jacket to spin off as they are a solid piece of copper machined with a CNC lathe. If anything more spin would be better with the monolithic for terminal performance

I've used a fair number of 30 cal light weights on Southern whitetails, and I have had good success with them. The 125 NBT, 125 NAB, 125 Sierra the 130 TTSX and reduced recoil/vel loads with the 30-30 variety of 150 RNSP. Many have been shot from varied 30 cals with moderate to full loads (especially the TTSX), and several from Contenders in 30-30 and 30-30AI. They are great for younger, female or older shoulders that are recoil sensitive, but allow the same rifle to be used with heavier loads as they grow/tolerate or for larger game.

I love the 130 TTSX at full power and for high shoulder imapcts for DRT, and the 125's at medium vels for lung/heart shots. Having killed a few whitetails with varied loads in 222, 223, 22-250, I found a heavy kicking 30 cal load with heavies was not always needed to anchor short range whitetails.

Recent Posts