Light weight scope for 6-800 yards

Nuclear Worker

Going on a Dall Sheep hunt looking for a good scope to put on my 6.5x284 Norma mountain rifle. There are so many great scopes today not sure what to get? I am 55 years old so the eyes are not that great anymore. Don't believe I need a real high power model. Thinking like a 3x18 I have a Trijicon 5-20x50 on my Tikka 300WSM I could use or the wife's Trijicon 2.5-12x56.Never heat anyone talk about these do y'all not like them? Was thinking maybe Leupold VX6HD 3-18x 50 or? Willing to spend the money for a great scope if they really are better than my Trijicon. My guide said a shot more than 400 yards is uncommon.

Going on a Dall Sheep hunt looking for a good scope to put on my 6.5x284 Norma mountain rifle. There are so many great scopes today not sure what to get? I am 55 years old so the eyes are not that great anymore. Don't believe I need a real high power model. Thinking like a 3x18 I have a Trijicon 5-20x50 on my Tikka 300WSM I could use or the wife's Trijicon 2.5-12x56.Never heat anyone talk about these do y'all not like them? Was thinking maybe Leupold VX6HD 3-18x 50 or? Willing to spend the money for a great scope if they really are better than my Trijicon. My guide said a shot more than 400 yards is uncommon.
Can't go wrong with the VX6.

NW -
Your a kid but consider durability and simplicity on your list. LKs suggestions look hard to beat but also these light brutes will not let you down banging through the rocks. NXS 2.5 - 10 x 42 and Schmidt Bender 6 x 42 PM11 P3.

If you can still find them. I use a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16 on my lightweight rig. Works great for the distance you are talking. 17.3 oz.
Also look at the swaro z5 3-18. I compared both side by side for several days in the morning and at night. The bushnell was so close I picked it because of the turrets and price. I may be looking at the March 2.5-25 to replace it. But tough to justify since the bushnell has never left me in a spot where I felt lacking.

If you can still find them. I use a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16 on my lightweight rig. Works great for the distance you are talking. 17.3 oz.
Also look at the swaro z5 3-18. I compared both side by side for several days in the morning and at night. The bushnell was so close I picked it because of the turrets and price. I may be looking at the March 2.5-25 to replace it. But tough to justify since the bushnell has never left me in a spot where I felt lacking.
Thanks

The March 3-24 ×40 is a great scope at 21oz .
The fml 1 reticle is just like a tmr. For weight and zoom range it's hard to beat
Can't go wrong with the 2.5-10 nxs nightforce either,

The Vortex Razor HD LH would be another outstanding option. 3-15 power on a 1" tube. The turrets are capped but the elevation turret gives 15 minutes per rev and tracks as true as anything I've seen. I've been incredibly impressed with the glass in that thing compared to any other scope I've looked through. Comes in at 16oz.

NW ~
Better - All of us have different prioritys. Seems like you know what weight you want. As many great suggestions here power has to be your very personal choice from your guestimate and your guides imput. Sounds like a hunt of a lifetime and as time gets closer toughness may and should haunt you. If it does becomes important in your hunt psyche at minimum make sure what ever optic meets or exceeds your confidence in your Trijicon the reticle is etched and not wires.

I find my eyes are going to and I need minimum 14X at the range to see and shoot with any accuracy and consistency, hunting not as critical.

Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 30mm tube 15oz, best compromise for a lightweight long range scope
Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 30mm tube 19oz
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 1" tube 16oz

One of my fav scopes is the Zeiss V4 4-16x44 Z-Plex 22oz, brilliant optics, amazing low light performance, tough as nails and very a positive MOA dial, I don't think there's a better scope for the money made right now, a touch heavy for a lightweight application at 22oz

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.