Light weight scope for 6-800 yards

I've been running the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 on several rifles for both the range and hunting for a while now. I find this combination of lightweight and magnification has served me VERY well on several hunts and some long range situations.

Great glass, tracks perfectly and I like the variety of reticles available. The locking turrets and AO are also a plus.

All this for 19 oz! Lighter than another favorite of mine, the NF 2.5-10x42. My wife used hers to take a couse deer in Sonora Mexico at 555 yards. I used the VX6HD 2-12 to take my deer at 455 yards.

Either offers a great lighter weight option in the field or the range.

And yes, my 61 year young eyes appreciate the added magnification.

I've been running the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 on several rifles for both the range and hunting for a while now. I find this combination of lightweight and magnification has served me VERY well on several hunts and some long range situations.

Great glass, tracks perfectly and I like the variety of reticles available. The locking turrets and AO are also a plus.

All this for 19 oz! Lighter than another favorite of mine, the NF 2.5-10x42. My wife used hers to take a couse deer in Sonora Mexico at 555 yards. I used the VX6HD 2-12 to take my deer at 455 yards.

Either offers a great lighter weight option in the field or the range.

And yes, my 61 year young eyes appreciate the added magnification.
Thanks for the response that is one of my final options. Is there anything you don't like about it?

Going on a Dall Sheep hunt looking for a good scope to put on my 6.5x284 Norma mountain rifle. There are so many great scopes today not sure what to get? I am 55 years old so the eyes are not that great anymore. Don't believe I need a real high power model. Thinking like a 3x18 I have a Trijicon 5-20x50 on my Tikka 300WSM I could use or the wife's Trijicon 2.5-12x56.Never heat anyone talk about these do y'all not like them? Was thinking maybe Leupold VX6HD 3-18x 50 or? Willing to spend the money for a great scope if they really are better than my Trijicon. My guide said a shot more than 400 yards is uncommon.

Depends on your desire to spend. The Trij is fine. Nice optics. Good mechanics. I move scopes around too.

Have several VariXIIIs in 4.5-14. Hard to beat. Pluses and minuses to hi power. Easier to see mirage. But heavier. I think its more important to know your glass, what magnification works best for you and also know your ballistics relative to any stadia/hash/mil marks on your specific reticle. Out to 400 any quality scope should do. Just be aware of your angles uphill/downhill. 400 yards can shoot like 100.

There is a reason 14-16x is the fav number for tac guns used in anger.

I think the Desert Tech guys just broke a 3050 yard record using a 375 CT and a 14x or 16x scope.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I recently bought a vx6 and love it. Only downside, I thought it was ffp. Turns out it wasnt. The vx5 would be a great option if you don't mind sfp. So the only advantage I gained with the vx6 is the 3-18 power. Vx5 comes in 3-15. Unless you give up the low end power for more high end

Vortex AMG 6-24x50... I use them for hunting and have had no issues and great success.

Glass is solid and construction has withstood everything I have thrown at them.

Vortex AMG 6-24x50... I use them for hunting and have had no issues and great success.

Glass is solid and construction has withstood everything I have thrown at them.

At right at 29oz, IMO it doesn't fit in the light weight category.
And very pricey.

VX5HD 3-15x44 hits the perfect sweet spot for me on price, weight and performance. Light weight without going down to a 1" tube or smaller objective. Plenty of power to reach out for the longer shots if presented as well and great image quality. The price these can be had for now is hard to beat for sub $800 and only 19oz.

Going on a Dall Sheep hunt looking for a good scope to put on my 6.5x284 Norma mountain rifle. There are so many great scopes today not sure what to get? I am 55 years old so the eyes are not that great anymore. Don't believe I need a real high power model. Thinking like a 3x18 I have a Trijicon 5-20x50 on my Tikka 300WSM I could use or the wife's Trijicon 2.5-12x56.Never heat anyone talk about these do y'all not like them? Was thinking maybe Leupold VX6HD 3-18x 50 or? Willing to spend the money for a great scope if they really are better than my Trijicon. My guide said a shot more than 400 yards is uncommon.
If you have a great scope that you have used and are confident in why ask us? Trijjicon is as good as the rest. It always comes down to personal preference in the end and personal experiences. I use what I know....( But lol.....you still need to put something on the new gun....or your .300)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts