Light Weight Rifle?

Some great suggestions, I'm throwing in the sako carbon light into the suggestion box at 5.3 lbs or the finnlight 2 at 5.7 lbs

Attachments

• 7D842DAB-6B81-412A-AD55-0FF5B3B27EF7.jpeg
    7D842DAB-6B81-412A-AD55-0FF5B3B27EF7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
With your current set up you could swap out the stock to a Peak 44 ( I believe the lightest production stock on the market at 20 oz) and change out the Nightforce to lighter scope. I love Nightforce but they are heavy, I cut weight on my rifle so I could still run my NSX and have a comfortable weight

It looks to me like you have a pretty solid rifle that balances weight and performance. Not questioning your motives, but have you tried shooting a rifle in the weight category you are looking at?
Shoot an 8 lbs all up rifle? Yes, I have several that I shoot in that weight range my lightest 7.5 lbs .30-06. Remember the rifle might start out under 5 lbs, but the goal is to keep it from going over 8 lbs with scope, suppressor, sling, and full magazine.

I built a TIkka in 7 SAUM that is 8# scoped and loaded with an Ultra 7 attached.

Built, and what did that cost just for the rifle? If I wanted something other than a .308 I would probably build. However, I know I can buy light cheaper than I can build in this case.

Patience is the key to finding the perfect factory rifle to meet your needs. Obviously your not in the position that you need this rifle now. I have always been hesitant in buying a used rifle. Probably not the smartest approach, but in the back of my mind I just keep asking why are they really selling it.

Browning abolt, ti, 270wsm, leupi 2.5x10x45, talley lw

Could get it under 7.5lbs all up with a lighter scope, but you get the idea

Attachments

• 33591.jpeg
    33591.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 46
Weatherby backcountry 1.0, 280ai, vortex razor lht, talley lw

I think for off the shelf, awesome mtn rifle.

This one shoots 160ab at 3025, half moa

Attachments

• 33317.jpeg
    33317.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 49
With your current set up you could swap out the stock to a Peak 44 ( I believe the lightest production stock on the market at 20 oz)

Manners also makes the Ultra Classic UL, and it runs 19-21 oz. MPI makes an unfinished stock in the 10-13 oz range, with paint and pad it should be possible to stay around 19 oz. My Trekker weighs 24 oz, so that leaves me spending $700+ to shed at best 5 oz.

I've been through most of the options to lighten up my rifle. The one that makes the most sense is the Howa, as I shed an almost an ounce for every $50 spent at around a 20 oz reduction. I'll have the money 2nd or 3rd week of Jan. I have the money to buy it now, but I'm using this time to weigh options.

Talking to a guy with one, and here is what had to say:

I have one chambered in 308. It weighs 4.7lbs without the rail that comes with the rifle and 4.9lbs with it. I have only tried 2 factory loads in mine. The first was the norma whitetail 150gr which shot moa at 100yds for 3 shots without letting the barrel cool. The other was SSA 150gr nosler accubonds that grouped a little better than the norma did. ......I have mine set up with burris zee rings and a vortex razor lwh 1.5-8 scope. Total weight unloaded is 5lb 11.8oz.
byn6NnS.jpg

Last edited:
I have looked at the howa also and for what you get for the money it seems like a no brainer to me. If it meets your requirements and shoots sub moa. That's the route I would go. If you search the internet you will find them for about 1k.

Kimber 84M Hunter in .308win
Leupold 3-9x50 VX3 CDS
Talley one-piece mount
Leupold Alumina covers
VTAC sling
Spartan bi-pod adapter
Cheek well/stock pouch
Mag and ammo
Just over 7lbs ready to hunt.

Shoots Barnes 130g TTSX and 124g Hammers @ ~3,2160 fps, sub MOA.
Wasn't intentionally trying to go as light as possible. Got a good deal on the rifle, had the scope laying around, put this together for my daughter. Have to admit I've been reaching for this rifle more lately, capable and light. Don't be fooled, these light rifles are definitely harder to shoot at distance.

IMG_3468.jpeg

Last edited: