Light weight 308

Sinko

I'm intending to pick up a light, handy, compact 308 before next season. I want to keep it simple and really don't want to mess with having one built although that's an option. Actually I'd like to get in the gun under $2000. Leaning towards a 20" barrel, want 7ish pounds with scope and stainless. The two that's on my radar are Sako Finlite, and Christianson Ridgeline. Any input and other suggestions are welcome.

Don't forget Sako' s little brother....Tikka mine are a true marvel of cost effectiveness.First pic 3 at 400 , first 3 shots( these are not one time Lucky shots) at 100, the rifle itself. This will give you much money leftover for ammo or componets.The Sako would be my choice of the 2 you listed.my $.02

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-23-11-51-46.png
    Screenshot_2020-07-23-11-51-46.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Screenshot_2020-02-23-16-51-26.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-23-16-51-26.png
    348.4 KB · Views: 256
  • Screenshot_2020-02-23-16-50-35.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-23-16-50-35.png
    377.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Savage ultralite might be another one too look at comes with a prood carbon wrapped barrel for ~$1100

Don't forget Sako' s little brother....Tikka mine are a true marvel of cost effectiveness.First pic 3 at 400 , first 3 shots( these are not one time Lucky shots) at 100, the rifle itself. This will give you much money leftover for ammo or componets.The Sako would be my choice of the 2 you listed.my $.02
I already have a couple of Tikkas and I do like those a lot however I want something a little bit nicer. Nothing wrong with it just want bottom METAL, and maybe a little better fit.

Rick is spot on, I"d go Kimber 84M, add Talley's, Quake mtn sling, and a scope that goes no mas than 12 ounces.

I've had mine for a long time, it never ceases to amaze me how well the bugger does and it'll do a variety of loads sub 1" @ 100. Think the last time I've tried 27 different loads and all but 2 of those loads would perk in the .75" inch range.

Tikka T3 Lite is impossible to beat for weight, and cost effectiveness

I have been looking at the Kimber Montana as well as the fieldcraft. Both look like super nice rifles. Anyone with experience shooting both?

My son has a stainless model 7 308. Changed stock and put timney trigger in. Topped with trijicon 3-9 accupoint in talleys, sling, and ammo it sits at 7 lbs and shoots sub moa. Balances perfectly.

Since you have the Tikkas, the Sako seems like a good choice. I would take a Sako over a Christiansen on any day of the week ending in "Y".

For the real ultra light stuff, you would have to give up the floor plate or detachable magazine. Having owned a Fieldcraft, I don't think you would miss them and you would be closer to your fully loaded target weight. That being said, too little weight and you are introduced to a new set of challenges which there are plenty of threads on and why I no longer am a Fieldcraft owner.

Bergara makes the Premiere Mountain 2.0 which looks to be comparable in weight to the Finlite and just under $2k while ticking your other boxes. Looks like you can save a couple hundred dollars and still get a first generation one, but you would have to research the differences.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts