Light stoves and ease of use

Litehiker

These days we have several options for light backpacking stoves. Here are the types I know of. Some are much easier to use than others.
But for hunting we are already loaded down with scoped rifle, ammo and butchering gear. So we want light but reliable. At the end of a hard day of hunting we want to hit the "EASY BUTTON" when it comes to boiling water or actually cooking (as in frying elk liver or deer back straps ;o)

So... ya gotta choose which you need, light or easy. If you are sure the temps will stay in the 40s F. or above use the canister stove with a tiny burner on top like the MSR Pocket Rocket. (Both light and easy.)

Below freezing wood burning stoves are light (especially the ti cone stoves like the Trail Designs Tri-Ti). And the only fuel you carry are Vaseline coated cotton balls to start the fire. But wood stoves take more time and are messier. With a base camp you only need to clean the outside of the pots on the last day. (The insides must be cleaned after every meal, regardless of the stove, unless you want to get sick.)

I'll divide stoves into two temperature categories, ABOVE FREEZING and BELOW FREEZING.

STOVES FOR ABOVE FREEZING:
1. alcohol burners (Many styles exist, choose wisely)
2. ESBIT burners (lighter fuel weight than alcohol when going more than 3 days and a bit hotter than alcohol but leave a residue on pot bottoms)
3. burner-on-top canister stoves (very light but easily affected by cold. They burn much hotter than either alcohol or ESBIT tablets.)

STOVES FOR BELOW FREEZING:
1. inverted canister stoves (These stoves vaporize the liquid iso-butane but require remote canister placement W/ fuel hose & canister stand. **Much below 10 F. and they become difficult to keep burning.)
2. White gas and kerosene liquid fuel stoves
3. wood burning "gassifier" stoves (Canadian made Bush Buddy, American madeTrail Designs Tri-Ti and smaller Sidewinder titanium cone stoves W/ "Inferno" insert. Gassifier stoves burn very hot! Neither brand are inexpensive.:eek:(

->White gas and kerosene stoves are the very most reliable stoves in my experience. They are also the most potentially dangerous if they overheat the fuel supply and explode or have a huge "flame ball" off the burner.

->Inverted canister stoves work well to about 10 F. but take some practice B/C each model is a bit different. It's best to keep them in your sleeping bag overnight to keep them warm for an easy AM start.

->Gassifier wood stoves work great on finger sized twigs, which are usually easy to find but can get wet fast in wet snow and rain. These stoves work best with Vaseline-soaked cotton balls to start them. This kind of stove smokes up your tent, bag and clothes but are great when you can't carry enough fuel for a week-long stay. They are also great for melting snow due to their high heat and abundant fuel supply.

Obviously BELOW FREEZING stoves are fine for above freeing temps and should be taken when it is possible temps will dip well below freezing, such as in the mornings.

** If you plan to cook ON snow remember you need a base for any stove to keep it from sinking into the snow and tipping your meal over. I use a 3/16" plywood disc painted with hi temp exhaust paint for my MSR Whisperlite Universal and also under a sheet of titanium for my Trail Designs Sidewinder wood burning stove. It has 3 rotating tabs to hold the Whisperlite stove legs on the wood disc.

Eric B.

Pretty much every alpine climber uses burner on top canister stoves in sub freezing conditions.

I use a MSR Reactor in temps well below 0F. I just warm the canister inside my jacket before I light it. I warm up a small amount of water, pour it in a titanium cup, then put the canister in the cup of warm water. There are other tricks as well, but this works for me.

snake,

I agree one can use a little canister top stove in cold weather IF:

1. you keep the canister warm (on you or in your sleeping bag) and insulated
2. you have a 3/4" wide copper strip that runs from the burner down to the side of the canister to transfer heat (held in place by a neoprene canister cozy W/ silicone fiberglas pad against the copper strip to protect the cozy)
OR
3. you use a warm canister & insulting cozy on an inversion stand W/ fuel line to separate burner Don't expect to melt much snow as the canister does get too cold to work well for long.

All this is, IMHO, a PITA compared to using reliable white gas or kerosene.
My recommendation is to use a MSR Whisperlite Universal stove, take the canister & inversion stand AND the white gas bottle W/pump. (and the white gas jet to change out in the burner) Then, when the canister fails switch over to white gas.

Eric B.

I have used a Jetboil canisters to boil water in sub-sero temps on open tundra with wind. This would probably work with any burner if you buy the 4-season fuel, you just have to block the wind with something body/pack/snowmachine etc.

It depends on how heavy my gear is running and how long I'm gonna be on the mountain but most of the time I either have the MSR Pocket Rocket or the whisperlight universal this stove gives me 3 options on fuel ..

My options are an Optimus Vega, which uses the inverted remote butane canister, or a much heavier Coleman duel fuel (white gas - unleaded gasoline) stove with the attached tank. So far I haven't had any issues with the Vega, especially using the windscreen, so I haven't packed that duel fuel for years. I use standard propane at base camp with the big BBQ tank...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.