Light rifle slings

Litehiker

What do you guys feel is a good but light rifle sling?

Currently my 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro has a 1 1/4" wide nylon webbing Browning sling that I've had for decades, moving it from rifle to rifle.
It can also be used to carry the rifle on my back with the sling "split" so one strap goes over each shoulder like a pack. Plus it has a nice slider for quick length adjustment.

I've also used a Magpul Modular Sling whip is a bit heavier 9thicker webbing) but works the same way.

Eric B.
P.S. Ropes don't count unless they are d@mn clever.

I front carry safari sling,they are light web.But we have lot bad bears.If im packing load kufaru gun bearer,no sling.I carry that to front also

I backpacked once using just the gun bearer without having a sling on the rifle. It had it's pluses and minuses. I did find myself still wanting to use the sling over my shoulder a few times.

For the pack out in bear country, I didn't want the rifle strapped to the pack, so the gun bearer was the best option available to have reasonable access to rifle while using trekking poles.

currently I have a Quake Claw sling that I have used on several rifles and shotguns. I like it because the rubber portion has some "stick" to it and doesn't slide off my shoulder. The Claw is heavy though.

i'm thinking of going to a more simple "webbing" sling to save weight and bulk.

maybe I will be trying a lighter webbing style sling later this year?
http://stores.hogsaddle.com/ss-loophole-sling-1/

Eric NWMT-There is a mauling or a death here every year.Last spring I saw 9 grizz,and that was just road hunting.This my heavier 338NM front,binos hooked to shoulder srtaps on clips Sow I saw

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    808.3 KB · Views: 267
  • P5310046.JPG
    P5310046.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:
The safari sling is just that,webbing,but the newer have two rubberized strips that help keep it located well.Just look them up,frees up both hands,all my buddies use them

I backpacked once using just the gun bearer without having a sling on the rifle. It had it's pluses and minuses. I did find myself still wanting to use the sling over my shoulder a few times.

I have used a gun bearer for years and keep thinking of ditching the sling, but in the end, keep taking it anyway. maybe this is the year I go without it or try the basic webbing strap an an alternative.

I use two kinds of slings, both are pretty light. The old Uncle Mike's Mountain sling is 2.5 ounce with swivels. Quake is making it now, probably the one one that 03USMC mentioned.

And I really like the Montana Sling that Scenar developed. It weighs 3 ounces if I recall right with swivels. It's leather which I still like. Is easy to adjust for myself or other fam members to adjust for themselves on the fly.

Both are fantastic and both are as light as they come.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.