Light recoiling loads. Powder advise

I strongly recommend you Google S E E (secondary explosion effect) before using a low pressure extremely slow burning powder. It's been known to disassemble small arms ...

I strongly recommend you Google S E E (secondary explosion effect) before using a low pressure extremely slow burning powder. It's been known to disassemble small arms ...
Read the article. Sounds valid, although isolated to instances where reduced charges are loaded. Not too worried since I was using full case loads and getting very low SDs. But thanks for the heads-up.

Hello all,

I am looking to make light recoiling loads for my 280ai. My son is still young but wants to start shooting my larger rifles. Is there a powder that will give a great fill capacity and temperature insensitivity? Also any recommended primers or bullet types that work well in this application?Thank you all in advance for the information.
Daniel
Hello all,

I am looking to make light recoiling loads for my 280ai. My son is still young but wants to start shooting my larger rifles. Is there a powder that will give a great fill capacity and temperature insensitivity? Also any recommended primers or bullet types that work well in this application?Thank you all in advance for the information.
Daniel
Try shooting 120 grain bullet the lighter bullet has less recall you may not even have to change your powder load

In your situation, a lighter bullet and a muzzle brake goes well with the 280AI. You can still load a milder book load.
Both my granddaughters at ages 12 and 15 shoot mine (R700 280AI CUSTOM) with Barnes for a lead free junior hunt. They were using a 145 gr. weight LRX. They would all fall into normal height and weight categories. They love shooting this cartridge.
Second, if you search around, there may be reduced recoil 280 Remington ammo that may be shot in the SAAMI spec 280AI chamber (with the following article below from NRA's American Hunter):

"The primary difference between the standard .280 Rem. and the .280 Ackley Improved is the steeper 40 degree, which lengthens the case body and allows for about 5 percent more powder capacity. This sharper shoulder can also increase case life, which is a good thing for the handloader. In a pinch (read lost luggage), .280 Rem. ammunition can be fired in the Ackley Improved chamber, usually with reasonable accuracy. It is important to note that the SAAMI-spec .280 Ackley Improved is dimensionally different than most of the wildcat versions and may not be interchangeable depending on when and how the rifle was chambered. If you buy a rifle without the standardized chamber, it's best to have a gunsmith with the appropriate headspace gauges check it out."
Hope this eases your mind as there are options for you in your current rifle.

When my 2 sons turned 12 we bought them bigger deer rifles. Up until that point they had both been slaying deer with a 223 and a nosler partition. Bought the oldest son a 7mm08 and the younger a 260 rem. The oldest son at that time was sensitive to recoil . Loaded 120 gr sierras over a lighter load of h4895 don't remember what dosage but light. He shot that for the first 2 years that he hunted with it and tagged out every year. It shot very well out to 200 yards for sure . Probably would have shot fine even further .
He shot that load like I said for 2 years then one day at the range we were chronographing my younger sons 260 rem and the the older son was asking why his gun shot so much slower it dawned on me that he was still shooting reduced loads lol.

I got this info from Berger a while back. Here is what they explained to me. I also was told that powder Was the only powder you can use the for reduced loads

Attachments

• 83E57564-35BF-48D4-A2CD-1ED1E07E894B.png
    83E57564-35BF-48D4-A2CD-1ED1E07E894B.png
    461.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I got this info from Berger a while back. Here is what they explained to me
That scares the bejeezus out of me. I wouldn't go below book minimum. We can argue whether flashover detonation really exists, but I wouldn't want test it next to my face. There are light loads to be had within the many sets of loading data.
Call me chicken....

YEP

Thats why you only use reduced load data directly from a source like the actual powder manifacturer!

I recently went down the reduced load road with my .338 Wm. My intent was to drop the velocity to the recommended range of an old box of Hornady flat points I had,18-2200 FPS. Trail Boss got me to around 1600 with very light recoil. H-4985 got me to the target velocity,with increased,but still still light recoil. For getting a youngster familiar with a rifle,Trail Boss is probably your best bet. For hunting,you will want to increase velocities to the performance range of the chosen bullet,which can most likely be done with H-4985 in most rifle rounds.

I started my daughter hunting with my 30-06, similar to your 280.

I started her out with the H4895 loads listed in the same document Aggie posted. 125 grains ProHunters, Nosler BT (Hunting) and SST. Those were like shooting a .223 from my 30-06. We moved on to RL 15 and the 125 grain SSTs from the Nosler Manual, started with minimum load and worked up to accuracy. More recoil but still light.

Good luck!

NOT TO BE A BROKEN RECORD BUT WITT MACHINE HAS A $89 CLAMP ON MUZZLE BRAKE . Does not leave a mark when removed. Take it off or leave it when they grow up, but that gives you low recoil and all of the excellent ballistics of the 7/08. Plus they will learn the trajectory of a 7/08 instead of a 22 long rifle with the 40% slower load.

my 2 cents. Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.