Light primer strikes

toddlouis

Hey all,

I have a Winchester model 70 300 wsm. It's probably the most frustrating rifle I've ever owned. Lol.

It shoots amazingly well some days, other days not so much and about every 7-8 shots I've been getting very light primer strikes, it was doing this with the old firing pin spring and installed a new one from Midwest Gunworks and still happening.

Is there anything I could try/do before I decide to spend the money on a gunsmith?

Hunting season in Alaska is coming up soon. Lol. Any advice, help, tips is greatly appreciated.

You can measure firing pin drop and see if it is at least .230" supposedly .250" is optimal. Measure from the cocking indicator on the back of the bolt from being cocked and then in fired position. Also, do you think it's possible that you have excessive head space and the cartridge is allowed to drive far enough forward into the chamber that the firing pin isn't driving into the primer far enough every time.

You can measure firing pin drop and see if it is at least .230" supposedly .250" is optimal. Measure from the cocking indicator on the back of the bolt from being cocked and then in fired position. Also, do you think it's possible that you have excessive head space and the cartridge is allowed to drive far enough forward into the chamber that the firing pin isn't driving into the primer far enough every time.

Measure the drop and it's .224".

What is the firing pin protrusion? Also, I have noticed on Win 70s that the spring seems to drag inside. I ended up buying a decimal sized reamer to enlarge the inside of the bolt so the spring doesn't drag. Depends upon the vintage of the rifle as to whether spring drags, or not.
That's a good point. Might not be enough potrusion. And it could be a cumulation of not enough potrusion with excessive head space on some of the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.