Light primer strikes

Rilow

what causes light primer strikes? Primer has slight dent on primer but does not go off, doesn't do it all the time but seems to happen more with eagle varmint rounds

Could be one or more of a few things, weak spring, worn firing pin, also military and magnum primer body's are thicker, hope that helps

what causes light primer strikes? Primer has slight dent on primer but does not go off, doesn't do it all the time but seems to happen more with eagle varmint rounds
Light primer strikes in an AR, most likely culprit is A) need a new firing pin, B) you have a buildup of carbon in your bolt not allowing your firing pin to move far enough, C) weak spring, or D) cheap ammo is bound to have a couple duds in it.

Also, sometimes with cheap ammo, you just get duds. Try to shoot it a few times, if it still doesn't go off, wait a few seconds before ejecting it, if it doesn't go off, eject it, and then toss that sucker as far away from you as possible to avoid injury.

Light primer strikes in an AR, most likely culprit is A) need a new firing pin, B) you have a buildup of carbon in your bolt not allowing your firing pin to move far enough, C) weak spring, or D) cheap ammo is bound to have a couple duds in it.

Also, sometimes with cheap ammo, you just get duds. Try to shoot it a few times, if it still doesn't go off, wait a few seconds before ejecting it, if it doesn't go off, eject it, and then toss that sucker as far away from you as possible to avoid injury.
It's funny you mention that cause the more I think about it it was this one box of ammo, then I didn't fool with it for awhile and I ran 20 rounds of a different ammo yesterday n didn't have any issues. I just put this together a year ago n haven't shot it much. Haven't had a problem with that ammo in a different gun but that doesn't mean anything I guess. I'm gonna have to put some rounds through n pay better attention. May have been over thinking it. We'll see, thanks for replies

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts