Light powder charge for .270

Blacktail

I am trying to avoid buying a .243 or the like for the wife. What is the lightest charge you guys think i can go with a 130 and still be fairly accurate and have enough energy to smack a small whitetail at say 150 maybe 200yards? and what powder?

Load From A Disk gives 46.7 grains IMR 4350 as its minimum load. Pressure ~34445 cup and a velocity of ~2535 f/s with a load density of 75%. It certainly won't have a lot of recoil but no idea how it will perform on game. That is with the Sierra 130g SBT GK. You're on your own with this. I'm just posting for your information.

You could try something like 50-65gr or so off a really slow burning powder (AA8700, US869 or some surplus powder like WC872 or 5010). As long as you keep the case close to full it should be fairly accurate, but the velocity will be reduced to the 1900-2300fps range ( thats 30-30win range, plenty for whitetails). It's possible it could be lower it just depends on the charge weight. I did some experimentation with reduced loads (well, deduced velocity loads) about 5 years ago. My favorite reduced velocity load was 55gr of 5010 under a 150gr hornady interlock bullet, but for the life of me i can't remember what the velocity was. I'm thinking it was somewhere around 1970fps, but i can't be sure. I tossed all the load data i had when i moved last year.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. She shot my old 25-06 a few years ago but just at cans and thought it recoiled a bit but was ok. I will give this a shot. Thanks again

I think alot depends on the fit of the rifle and the recoil pad used. My wife shoots a 270 Stainless Stalker Browning. The rifle is fairly light. It's been cut down to fit her and a Decellerator pad installed. She goes to the range around 8-10 time a year and empties a 50 round box everytime. The rifles is a shooter and she can usually keep the groups around 1"

She also shoots a 30 06 which has not been cut down and has the original pad. It's and older Winchester with nice wood and she wants to keep it original. After 15-20 rounds she's her shoulder's sore and she's through.

She shot this boar with one shoot through the heart at 150 yds.

Shari7.jpg

When my mom was still hunting back in the early 80's, I worked up a load using Nosler BT's, 46grs of Imr 3031, Win cases, and lit by a Win-WLR primer. THe velocity was right at 2800fps and the recoil was very mild in our rifle. IT only weighs around 8#. She used it to take a very nice buck, and my daughter started shooting it when she was only 8, and since has taken several hogs to ranges out to 350yds.

THis has been a very accurate load from this rifle shooting around 1" groups consistantly at 200 yds. It has worked so well, that only in the past couple of years have I explored anything else for it. IT is simply a pleasure to shoot and drops deer and hogs with authority, and the BT doesn't generally blow up on impact due to the lower velocity.

It is definately worth a look if you have access to some 3031.

Light powder charge

Blacktail

Have you tried the Managed Recoil ammo from Remingtion ?

They use a 115 gr bullet at standard 270 velocities reducing
recoil with out sacrificing performance.

I have a neighbor that uses it in a 7/08 for his 9 year old son
and has killed several dear with it around 100 yrds.

Havent tried it my self but it sounds like an alternative to reduced
loads with poor powder densities.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM

Blacktail, Here is published data, January 06 Guns and Ammo by Bob Forker.

270 Win
Speer 90gr HP TNT, Ram Shot Tac, Rem 9.5, 35grains@ 2,500fps
Hornady 100gr SP, Hod. H4895, Win LR, 36grains @ 2,400 fps.

The author notes he puts a little Dacron pillow stuffing on the powder charge to keep it in the back of the case.

My experience:
I have read that reducing some powder loads below minimum starting charge can be dangerous. The same article stated that Hodgdon H4895 was a safe powder to reduce below minimum listed charge wieghts.

I have made reduced loads with a few different cartriges by simply using 2/3 of the published data for H4895. I have never used a filler in the case and accuracy was usually 1-2" @ 100 yards. Keep the bullets off the lands with reduced loads. Primmers show no flattening .

Attempt at your own risk.

H4895

somewhere on hodgdon's page I read you could take any cartridge that H4895 was suitable for and as long as your charge was 60% of listed max it was safe, I'll try to confirm this
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.