light muzzle loader load for a young kid

Merf45

Hello im new to the sight would like any input yall have for loads for young kids. My neighbor got his son a youth mzzle loader for Christmas i think its a Rossi and we was wanting some info to get him started i think he is 7 he shot his first deer this year with my daughters 7-08. Thanks for any input yall might have.

I have a couple youths shooting muzzleloader, and it not too much different than rifle......the heavier the bullet, the more it kicks! Im not sure what caliber he has, but the below is in a 50 cal. I shoot bore diameter maxi balls, and heavy hard cast 45-70 bullets in sabots but it's a bit much for the youngins. When starting them out plinking, I ran a light 45 acp pistol bullet. (185 grain) in a Harvester sabot. I can't off hand remember the charge of Triple 7, but we started low and worked up to accuracy......My brain wants to say 80 grains of powder???? I think think the noise, flash and smoke gets to them about as much as the recoil........Good luck!

I have a couple youths shooting muzzleloader, and it not too much different than rifle......the heavier the bullet, the more it kicks! Im not sure what caliber he has, but the below is in a 50 cal. I shoot bore diameter maxi balls, and heavy hard cast 45-70 bullets in sabots but it's a bit much for the youngins. When starting them out plinking, I ran a light 45 acp pistol bullet. (185 grain) in a Harvester sabot. I can't off hand remember the charge of Triple 7, but we started low and worked up to accuracy......My brain wants to say 80 grains of powder???? I think think the noise, flash and smoke gets to them about as much as the recoil........Good luck!
Thanks I found some 200 grns that i had laying around we will try that

If it is a 50 cal. then you can use sabots made to use .451 bullets designed for 45 ACP and really load the powder light. Remember these bullets are designed to expand in the 600 to 1000 fps velocity range. If you have a chronograph you can tailor you powder charge and find your accuracy level to achieve this velocity range. A 185 or 200 gr Speer Gold Dot or Hornady XTP running about 1000 fps ought to make a great under 75 yards deer killer with very little recoil. When I first got married we were so poor that if I did not grow, catch or shoot it we about did not eat it. I was so strapped for cash that I could not afford many buckshot shells for my shotgun. I was in east NC where buckshot can be used for deer. Even tough it was not legal at the time to hunt with pistols a man has to do what he has to do to feed his family. I had acquired an old Colt 1911a1 WWII bring back pistol. I had a friend that had loading tools and a 200 gr SWC bullet mold. I got free wheel weights and cast my bullets and used 7 grs Unique which according to the books would run between 900 and 1000 fps and load for pennies a round. I would hide that pistol under my coat and go into the swamp carrying my shotgun but use the pistol and I killed a number of deer keeping my shots under 50 yards and shooting them through the lungs. 45 cal hole in and out and they did not go very far if any. So I know that a muzzle loader shooting one of the modern expanding bullets at the same velocities will be just more of a good thing. Hey I only use 80 grs 777 FFG with a sabot with the 250 Hornady XTP bullet made for the 45 Colt and it is wicked on deer. None of my shots will be over 100 yards in the mountains of TN.

Thanks we will give it a try i have a chrono and some 45 i havent loaded and some loose 777. Got to get my lil buddy going his dad said i created a lil monster when i let him come over and kill his first one lol. Im a firm believer if you teach your kids to hunt you wont have to hunt your kids both mine hunted wth me til they got grown and busy and we never wondered what they was up to on the wkends my son still does when he can. Thanks again for the advice Shawn

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.