Light Mountain Rifle Caliber

liltank

Just want to get you seasoned hunters opinions. General usage would be a walk around rifle in PA woods. .308 isn't an option because I own one, just looking for something different and a good deer slayer. Want to stick with short action.

223 Rem.
243 Win.
257 Roberts
6.5 X 47 Lapua
6.5 X 55 Sweed
260 Rem.
7mm-08 Rem.

Thanks in advance,
Tank

I am quite fond of my 260's and 120 ballistic tips. haven't tracked one more than 10 steps in last 9 years I have been shooting them. Have shot deer from 10 yards to 550 with it. good bullet performance at all ranges for me. I have a 700 mountain rifle dm and a 700 stainless dm, and my boys shoot a model 7 youth. easy to load for and accepts many different powders with good results.

Dan

I'd pass on the 223, I know it will work but for all practicle perposes its too small! The 6.5-55 Sweed is a great round but a little long for a short action, here again it will work but why limit its potential!
All of the other would work but if I had to pick one the 7-08 or the old plain jane 284 would get the nod.

6.5mm is the ticket.

Go with the 260Rem or the 6.5x55swede.

In terms of barrel life, if you're going to shoot the rifle a lot go with the 260. If it will see limited action go with the Swede.

Either of the 6.5s will serve you well. If you are a reloader go with the Swede even though it won't fit in a short action. If you plan on shooting factory ammo .260 is your cartridge.

Get 3 pieces of paper, on each either .260 rem, 6.5x55, or 7-08. Flip them upside down and mix them up, now hover your hand over each piece of paper and when you feel a tingle, flip the card and build that rifle. :D

all three of those above calibers will fulfil everything your asking of this rifle. Pick whatever one you like and run with it. The 6.5x55 is my favorite out of those above.