Light Mountain Rifle Caliber

I forgot all about this thread. Thanks guys. I have really been kicking around the idea of the 6.5x47 just for the simple fact of the availability of match primers and small primers in general. I have also expanded into the idea of the 6mmbr. Time will tell. I think my next rifle will definitely be a 6mm or 6.5mm, just have to figure it out. I wish I could have one of each. There are some pretty neat calibers out there.

Tank

Last edited:
Get 3 pieces of paper, on each either .260 rem, 6.5x55, or 7-08. Flip them upside down and mix them up, now hover your hand over each piece of paper and when you feel a tingle, flip the card and build that rifle. :D

all three of those above calibers will fulfil everything your asking of this rifle. Pick whatever one you like and run with it. The 6.5x55 is my favorite out of those above.

You forgot the gregorian chanting playing the background and ceremonial sacrificing of a decapitated barbie doll

I was thinking this as well with 7-08 as a second choice. What are you going to pic for a barrel length?

For a light mt. rifle, I would probably go with nothing shorter than a 24" in a medium contour. I wouldn't want anything longer than 24 or 25 inch just because I do get into heavy brush now and again. Not nice for crawling. Not sure that I want to have a heavy barrel in that length. I think it would get rather heavy after a little while, especially trekking up and down mountains. I'm a bit out of shape... well ok... a lot out of shape:D, so the lighter the better. I don't think I want a light contour though. In case a long shot should afford itself, I want to have the stability a medium contour would allow.

Tank

I live in Wyoming and use the following -

5 1/2 pound - ready to hunt with --- 284 Winchester

6 1-2 pound - ready to hunt with --- 300 Win Mag

I have hunted - bighorn sheep - moose - elk - deer and antelope with these 2 rifles. Longest kill with them 610 yards.

Got an antelope 2 weeks ago at 725 yards, but it was with an 8 pound 264 Win Mag. But it is going on a diet and will be lighter by next fall. I also plan on building a light weight 6mm-284 in the near future. :)

Later - bpcr - Bruce gun)

I have a Ruger M77 stainless (skeleton synthetic stock) 7mm-08 mountain rifle. Real short & light weight. I've had it since I was a kid. It was my first bolt-action deer rifle. Before that used a Marlin 336 .30-30, which I still have, as well. Since then, my collection has grown significantly, but every now & then, I still love to pull out the old Ruger 7mm-08 & sling a few down-range. gun)

I had a .280 Rem. built back in 1990 and have hunted with only it since then. I shoot 140 gr. barnes x bullets out of it, and have killed 4 black bears, 4 or 5 pronghorns I don't know how many deer, and 31 elk with it. If anyone knows where a guy can get (.284) 140 gr. barnes x bullets let me know. (down to my last 75 or 80)
I did have a 300 wsm built this year and it will become my new elk rifle, but I will still hunt everything else with my .280.

Well...doesnt a 65284 fit into a short action...as long as the bullets are seater deeper...or shoot 120gr or less....
Which puts you back to 65x55

7-08 would be a great choice but I prefer modern long for caliber bullets. 6BR is an idea but nothing wrong with either 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd lean toward a 20-22" carbon wrapped barrel. I own rifles in all these calibers except the 6CM and they all shoot well. I'd have a 6CM but a screamer .20 or .22 is higher on the priority list for coyotes and rock chucks.

260 in a Rem Model 7 and a 7mm-08 in a rem mountain rifle or similar package are great walking around rifles, very accurate but still have that balance and airy point and shoot feeling sort of like when you used to tote a bb-gun or 22 as a kid. They are not weighty enough for the utmost in bench or long range accuracy but you can hike all day and hardly know they are there.

Recent Posts