Light loaded FMJ for squirrels?

hunterbob

We did that before with 30 cal. rifles ,,,,We had too, where we were,, since we was out of supplies....Barking a squirrel off a tree with a 308 is not easy,,, Red squirrels too. We had a couple packages of rice to mix with it...The next day we just hupped it for 4 to 6 hours, back to cars...lol .....

B23

Gotta be careful with FMJ bullets, particularly when shooting at relatively flat angles, they ricochet big time!

RT2506

Illegal to use FMJ in TN so never tried it. Did try using a 45 cal muzzle loader with 40 grs FFG black powder with a patched round ball which was as low as I could go on the charge to get acceptable accuracy. Shot one in the front portion of the head broadside. Squirrel went spinning through the air down through the woods. When I found it the ball had entered the head between the eye and end of nose but it tore the offside of the squirrel to pieces all the way to the back leg. I tried barking two with this rifle but all it did was put them in high gear getting away. I did kill a few while deer hunting in NC with a 357 Mag. 10" barrel TC Contender pistol using very light loaded 158 gr lead round nose bullets shooting 25 yards or less downward for safety out of a elevated shooting house. Found out that shooting them through the ribs worked very good and did not rip them up.

wv270wsm

I use trailboss and a very soft home poured lead bullet from my 222. It’s right at the speed of the 22 mag but reloadable. I got the mold from mid south and it throws about a 53 gr flat pointed bullet into dime sized groups at 50 yards

MachV

Put a blackout barrel on if you hope to keep it semi auto. Fmj shooting upwards is a bad idea and general bad idea anyway!

hunterbob

If I loaded a 223 FMJ with a light charge of powder, would it still blow the heck out of squirrels? Has any one tried this? Is there anything I could do to hunt squirrels with my AR?
They taste great and I want the meat.

Thanks
Ryan
So why don't you go ahead and tell us, but we already know , you're not a hunter, : Are You?

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce