Light gathering scopes

And the topic we discussed directly just happen to be low light. I was in the air between the 420 and 527 ZCO. He definitely learned me up.

I compared Swarovski z5 5-25X52, Leupold VX-6 4-24X52, Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, Swarovski z81 2.7-18X56, and a Leupold VX-5 3-15X56 on deer antlers 131 yards away in the woods after sun set. The first three went down in the same minute. The VX-5 lasted six minutes longer than the first three. The z8i lasted twenty minutes longer than the first three.
Nice to know! I'm not a huge Leupold fan besides maybe their VX-6 line up. I think I would still take the z5 over the vx-5 just for peace of mine knowing the reliability in the turrets is there. But then again, I have only had older Leupolds so maybe I need to give a VX-5 a better look sometime.

Nice to know! I'm not a huge Leupold fan besides maybe their VX-6 line up. I think I would still take the z5 over the vx-5 just for peace of mine knowing the reliability in the turrets is there. But then again, I have only had older Leupolds so maybe I need to give a VX-5 a better look sometime.

I'm liking mine more and more with each hunt. I sat in a stand in the woods probably 45 minutes past sunset one night last week due to deer being all around me. It was a cloudy afternoon with no visible sun or moon. I couldn't have made out antler details but could have still made a shot pretty easily had I wanted too. It's kind of weird because there have been other afternoons where it barely got me 30 minutes past sunset.

Anyone compared thd Leica Amplus to done of these popular lowlight scopes? Currently have a few 56mm vx5hd's and a 52mm Z5. Thinking about trying a 2.5-15x56 amplus or z5i next, something with a lighted dot reticle.

Anyone compared thd Leica Amplus to done of these popular lowlight scopes? Currently have a few 56mm vx5hd's and a 52mm Z5. Thinking about trying a 2.5-15x56 amplus or z5i next, something with a lighted dot reticle.
The Amplus in 56 is excellent in low light. I haven't compared it to a VX5, but I see no difference in low light whatsoever between the Amplus and my Z6 Swaro

I think you are dreaming about the reliability of the z5 turret. I used my z5 5-25 for a few hunts. Twice I had to return it for service. Both times the note informed me the turret was replaced. After the second time I sold it with full disclosure of the two returns.

I think you are dreaming about the reliability of the z5 turret. I used my z5 5-25 for a few hunts. Twice I had to return it for service. Both times the note informed me the turret was replaced. After the second time I sold it with full disclosure of the two returns.
I have many Z5s and Nightforce NX8s. I have had to return a nx8 for repair but never a Z5.

I've had z5 and nx8 which both needed returning. That is why I'll only buy tasco now, so if they fail they are throw-a-way scopes. Saves time.

Seriously, I used to use Tasco. I never had one fail and had two trajectory models that always returned to zero. But their low light capabilities let me down. When I could afford better glass, I gave the Tascos to friends and family. I never heard bad about them.

One thing I have learned regardless of scope quality. The human pupil can only expand to roughly 5mm in low light. So with a 50mm objective anything over 10 power at last light is pretty much useless. With a 40 mm it's 8 power etc. 56 will get you 11-12. Not a whole lot of difference. Glass quality is such a subjective thing I dont know how you measure it. Is there an actual standard for light transmission tests or is that just manufacturer data?

I think 5mm is correct roughly for older people like myself but the younguns can dialate as much as 7mm I read.

I know I can tell a lot of difference now at 51 as opposed to 5 years ago. But I have cataracts growing which robs light I think. Having hunting with my new VX5-HD all season, it's just barely adequate at 70 yards or so, 30 minutes after sunset in the timber on a lot of days. I'll likely need more soon. Guess I'll start saving for a Polar. Haha.