lifetime hunt-Oryx on White Sands missile range

The hunt is a lot of fun but you will spend most of your time glassing from your truck. The only time you will really be out and about is when you glass one that you want to put a stalk on. Just bring food, snacks and a lot of liquids. Bring a friend too as it will be a more enjoyable hunt. There will be Game Wardens out and about so make sure that you are doing things right. They can watch you from a long ways off. Saw someone get in trouble using their truck as a rifle rest when they shot their Oryx.
Funny, on hunts where we were, they encouraged you to use the truck to lean on. But those were all depredation, not once in a lifetime trophy hunts.

Best meat that we ever ate GEMSBOK. Cut the tenderloins out and threw them on a hot grill heated with some local wood just so they were burnt on the outside and red in the middle. So tender, better than a Ruth Chris. Had some local veggies and a bottle of Merlot. We harvested seven animals in SA for the price of a Texas deer hunt. Harvested with a Model 70 .325WSM 200gr Accubond.

Attachments

• Gemsbuck South Africa March 2006 089.jpg
    Gemsbuck South Africa March 2006 089.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 114
Its a day hunt. Ok, maybe 2, spend 1 day looking and 1 day killing. There are plenty of them out there. Find some "off post" adjacent ground and stack up a Barbary Sheep as well while you are there. There are plenty of both.

I didn't hunt there but I did spend some time on WSMB while in uniform ... not a place associated with fond memories for me - but - I wasn't hunting oryx either :) ...

It's for real desert so be prepare for freezing overnights and scorching days ... there's no shade ... anywhere ... zero, zilch, nada ... but there are LOTS of rattlesnakes and scorpions. You're also very likely to hear the sound of wing mounted vulcans pretty regularly ... an eerie sound that you'll never forget if you've not heard it before.

Not intending to rain on your parade and I hope you don't interpret this a negative feedback on the place ... I wish the time I'd spent there had been hunting ... or anything other than what it was for me for that matter :).

Prep for extremes in temp, sun, critters and shooting distance to your target.

Good luck and I hope you have a blast!
man I have been there!!! LOL
That being said I spent some time on one of the "outpost" areas for a MOB and got to see a gemsbok standing by the front door of a certain "housing unit" the last day I was there. Messed me all up as I was wearing what you described in your post.

Oryx has my interest. Has anyone hunted one in West Texas?

NM tags are expensive and hard to come by and I don't have 6 plus years left in my legs to wait.

I have taken one on range and 1/2 dozen off range. Put in for the off range hunt pick three months and if you draw you get to hunt for 30 days.Bring your camper and spend as much time as you can spare hunting.Really no need to scout as you have 30 days to hunt - scout. Lots of BLM (not black lives matter) land to camp on.The area is about 60 miles long and you should concentrate along the WSM range fence , the Armendares fence and the Jornado fence. Find fresh sign and start glassing.

Mr. Bonner, I doubt that any message has contained so much important information to me as this one. I look forward to my first hunt in a few weeks and living here for twelve years has not produced any quality hunting experiences. Now it would seem that off range hunting for Oryx would be an exceptional opportunity.

Thank you ever so much,

WW

Off range Oryx is great because it is a real hunt! In my younger days I spent a lot of time out there shooting quail.Got to know the area fairly well. Most of the ranchers are very good people and will help you if they can.The last Oryx I took was between the Buckhorn Ranch and San Antonio N.M. on the range fence. A real sleeper area is on the North end of the Stallion range there is a small area of public land between the range and the highway. Need to walk in ;but good. Look for tracks and scat. Be sure and post your results

Recent Posts