lifetime hunt-Oryx on White Sands missile range

Congratulations. Very cool and fun hunt. I have been blessed to go on five oryx hunts on the range with friends and family. Once I went, others would call and ask questions and was offered to tag along and took full advantage of it. PM me and we can talk if you want. So far there have been excellent advice provided by others.

Since this is a once in a life time hunt, why not contact a local outfitter about guiding you? Since you are going to be DIY basically, the cost for a guide for 3 days would not be bad I wouldn`t think? I have hunted with Kiowa outfitters in New Mexico a few times, (antelope, & mule deer) & I know they have guides with experience for WS oryx. Message me if your interested in some names

Congrats! You are in for a great hunt. I've been on 6 or 7 WSMR hunts as a hunter, helper or "guide" and each one was awesome.

Oryx hunting reminds me of pronghorn hunting - you will see animals, plenty of them. The terrain is easy, fairly flat with folds for the most part. Shots will vary but since there are a lot of animals there is no reason to take a shot you are not 100% comfortable with... you will get another opportunity. Last I checked, success rates for "on range" hunts was close to 90%. As previously mentioned you may may get a prone shot and maybe not so be prepared and practiced with sticks.

Weather should be good - perfect really but be prepared for anything. Wind and rain primarily. On my once in a life time hunt it was blowing 30-40 mph and sleeting so with only 2 days you have to be out and hunting even when it is nasty. The rangers said that was one of the worst success rates ever because of the weather and because the oryx were bedded down. But diligence paid off for me.

Oryx are tough - in my experience tougher than elk and about the same size from a weight perspective. One year I shot a 5x5 bull and my wife shot a bull oryx and they were within 5 pounds hanging at the butcher (no head or hide). My wife shot two with a .308 and my buddy used a .375 H&H they both worked. Like everything shot placement is important and the difference between a .308 and a .300 Win mag is effective distance. My wife shot both of hers at under 100 yds so don't believe all shots are going to be long. Seems like people confuse hunting with shooting these days... You WILL need help loading it in your truck so be sure to have extra hands.

One final thought... Oryx are incredible table fare. They are the best wild meat I have eaten this side of Africa. You can take it home and have it butchered or I'm sure there will be butchers outside of the gate - there always are - but be sure to take care of it properly, you will not be disappointed. I went on a hunt with a buddy last year (he shot a monster 39" bull) and he left the meat with a butcher and the head with a taxidermist just outside the gate. We drive home with an empty truck - felt really weird....

Oh yeah, they make a beautiful and unusual mount.. Congrats and best wishes!

great info. Suppose you had one last western big game hunt in your budget( physically and financially). What species would you older hunters pick? Elk, mule deer, whitetail, antelope, moose, exotic? Oryx sounds interesting.

Hello, Apparently I have gotten an incredibly lucky draw and after 11 years I will be hunting the White Sands missile Range for Oryx. I have not seen the area and have the second hunt September 25-27.
I am reaching out to other hunters who have hunted Oryx on the WSMR and would greatly appreciate any knowledge you wish to share with me. I already know that I should be prepared to make long shots and have access to a 800 yard range for practice.

I would appreciate any experienced guidance in all aspects of this hunt since I have never been to this part of New Mexico. Since this is a once in a lifetime hunt, I want to return with a minimum of ideas under the category of "I wish I had known about this etc."

Thank you in advance,

Gene So
Awesome! I drew mine 20 + yes ago on the Stallion Range! Strict rules like no cameras, only one person allowed to accompany you etc but that was then! I suggest you hire a local guide because You only get this tag once and you only have 2 days to get er done! Seriously!

Things have changed since 90's. There was herds of 100 oryx all over and they just stood around, it was an easy hunt because there was hardly any hunting pressure. Oryx vs vehicle were common. Not the case anymore. Still PLENTY of oryx, a lot more hunting pressure in the last 10-15 yrs.

You do not need a guide, finding oryx is easy. The folks that run the hunts will help you if you having trouble after the first days. The biggest plus of a guide is the trophy judging. It's hard if you haven't seen a bunch, even then it's hard. If you decide to go with a guide pm I know the best guides and the outfitters they work for. Different from who was mentioned above, all though they are a fine outfit too.

Most importantly don't over think it. It's a fun hunt and isn't a hard hunt. Just have fun and enjoy

Yep I'm jealous. Been on about 6 range hunts to help family and friends but haven't drawn a tag myself in over 10 years of applying. I'll put in my 2 cents trying not to duplicating what's been said. If you do it as a diy map study of the roads and even just slightly higher elevation points is key. I'll explain later. Good glass to see long distances is a huge plus. You'll be looking for the tops of horns slightly above the brush. If you glass with the sun to your back (morning, or evening) they will stand out very well. Standing on a pickup tool box in the bed gives you a great vantage point. Some set up an a-frame ladder strapped down to get elevation. And no don't be on it while the truck is moving. You will be possibly hours from a store depending on your route home. Take plenty of coolers and ice for the meat and cape. Rules change yearly so pay attention to the information you receive. Last season on some hunts you could use quads off road only to recover a kill. You couldn't use them for anything else. Wheeled game carts work great if the ground is dry. Have a plan for animal recovery because you have specific times at night you have to be off the range. These times are much earlier than you would think. Cell phone reception is limited. You are legal to use walkie talkies in NM, how you use them is up to your own personal ethics.
Now the bad. Every hunter out there is just as excited to get this tag as you are and they have their buddies with them. You will all enter the range at the same location and about the same time. We call this the "The Oryx 500." There will be competition for animals unless you get away from the crowds. Hence, what I said in the beginning, know the roads and high points. Pre determine where you plan to glass from. If someone is there press to your next spot. Once you get away from the crowds its a great hunt. Enjoy it!

Hello, Apparently I have gotten an incredibly lucky draw and after 11 years I will be hunting the White Sands missile Range for Oryx. I have not seen the area and have the second hunt September 25-27.
I am reaching out to other hunters who have hunted Oryx on the WSMR and would greatly appreciate any knowledge you wish to share with me. I already know that I should be prepared to make long shots and have access to a 800 yard range for practice.

I would appreciate any experienced guidance in all aspects of this hunt since I have never been to this part of New Mexico. Since this is a once in a lifetime hunt, I want to return with a minimum of ideas under the category of "I wish I had known about this etc."

Thank you in advance,

Gene So
Thats awesome!!! I used to work at WSMR for 6 years! Oryx arent very skittish creatures they run maybe a hundred yards and always stop and look back... I would def see if you can get into hugh ground and glass. A spot and stalk is the way to go! Best of luck!

Be prepared to get the meat cooled down fast. Everything has thorns. Also a couple of species of quail down there, if you have time and they're in season, I enjoyed chasing them around the sand mounds, prettier and faster than our bobwhites, imo.

I have taken serious notes from all these inputs and I thank each and every one of you. Reality set in yesterday when I find I cannot hit, reliably, oryx targets at 400-500 yards NOW.
I regard the info about getting to know the area via Google and ONX maps to locate terrain that is remote as the most important info shared with me.
Thank you all and I shall be contacting those who suggested we could talk on the phone.

WW

I have hunted on range one time and off range a lot .I have taken Oryx with a .375 HH ,.300 Win Mag .270 Win and a .264 Win Mag .Longest shot was 420 yards with the 264 shooting 120 gr. Nosler BT I don't find Oryx to be tougher than a big bull elk. Most shots have been between 75 and 200 yards. The one thing I find about Oryx is they will look through a bush and see you. I love to get on fresh tracks and follow them until they make a mistake. I live about 30 miles from the range so on the month long off range season I get to hunt a lot . If you choose to get a guide I know a couple ; but one I would suggest for an on range hunt.Most guides are flying blind on range as they can't scout and you really probably will not need one.Take a young strong helper. When you dress an Oryx nothing falls out like it does on a deer!