Levelling a scope level (I think)

Litehiker

I may get a Talley top half ring scope level.

My Usual Scope Leveling Process
1. level the rifle with clamps & a level
2. mount the scope with vertical reticle on a plumb bob line
3. gradually criss-cross tighten screws to 20 inch lbs.

Adding the Talley top half ring level:
1. keep rifle clamped level
2. mount bubble level top ring half
3. very slowly tighten the 4 ring screws (X pattern) and use valve feeler gauge shims to ensure equal gaps between both sides of ring halves.
4. keep checking for a "level bubble level"
5. tighten to 20 in.lbs.

Comments? Suggestions?

Eric B.

I use the EXD tool. It works. Is a little finicky but can get good results with it. I put blue painters tape on the top of the scope so it does not scratch the surface and tape. on the barrel too if it is blued. Then use a rubberband on the barrel and knob of the tool to secure it while adjusting.

Bill123-> "Tank you veddy nice!" Excellent video. I think I'll order the EXD tool. I know I'll use it every time I mount a scope.

I also went to Youtube and watched Part 1 where they used JB Weld and bedded the scope to the bottom rings. Interesting. It's pretty much how you bed a Pic rail to the receiver to be sure it's perfectly flat.

BTW, This tool is making the RETICLE vertical but you have to shoot a "tall target" sequence every 3.5 vertical inches (for mil clicks) at 100 yards to see if the vertical turret moves perfectly vertically. Sometimes reticles are installed just barely off vertical and this cannot be detected unless you do this test. Use a 4 ft. heavy cardboard backer with a 4 ft. paper target marked properly with a vertical center line and 3.5 inch horizontal lines (about 3 inches long). Be SURE the target is posted perfectly vertically. Use a plumb bob!

If it looks like your ascending groups are veering right or left as you shoot at each higher cross mark then your reticle is likely off vertical. Repeat the test two more times. If you get the same veering results send in the paper targets with the bad scope to the manufacturer and pray they will send back a good scope. Of course you will need to test the new scope as well.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.