Leupold's customer service--Excellent...

Countless Posts like this is why I refuse to use any more Leupold scopes. Sending a scope back three times isn't out of the ordinary with Leupold. Both Leupolds I've owned have had issues.
Their erector systems are not robust enough for dialing repeatedly and returning to zero when it's absolutely needed. Maybe their highest line is, who knows?
If you are a set it and forget it shooter who uses hold over and only shoots out to a few hundred yards then they would probably be OK.
I am fascinated that some have uniformly bad luck with Leupold's. I have 3 VX3i LRP scopes. Two on 6.5C PRS match rifles that have been dialed up and down for two years. At last Saturdays match only 16 out of 75 shooters had more hits at 1000 yards than my VX-3i LRP got me hits. The third LRP is on a KIDD 10/22 that has been used in countless matches, mostly NRL22 which involves dialing up and down. Then on Sunday I shot my first silhouette match with a 6.5C using a FX3 36X bench rest scope I purchased used off the internet. It's tough but I did get a hit one one of ten Rams, my misses were pretty much where the crosshairs lined up when the trigger broke so misses were on me not the used scope. My silhouette shooting partner had the same scope I did on his 6mmBR and he managed to win his division. I asked him if the Leupold's were prone to failing and he allowed that he never heard such a thing. BTW shooting silhouette does involve dialing up and down month after monthly match. How can it be that some have nothing but problems with Leupold's and others that dial them up and down match after match have very little in the way of issues? Strange

That's a pretty good question for Leupold isn't it? Poor manufacturing or QC could be the issue.
There were rumors of a new Erector system with the new VX3-I line and above like the VGX5 and VX6. Plenty of those scopes have had issues too.
Leupold should probably take another look at how they build their scopes. I like their lightweight scopes but IMHO when you build them that light something is going to fail and in my previous experience of 100% failure I think the erector system is just not up to the task.

I'd bet the majority of hunters that shoot Leupolds don't dial up and down much at all. If they did there would be allot more complaints than we are currently seeing.

How can it be that some have nothing but problems with Leupold's and others that dial them up and down match after match have very little in the way of issues? Strange

Because they've lived off their name and military contracts, till they lost that. Ask somebody why they bought a Leupold and 8 out of 10 will tell you because their dad uncle, and or grandfather owned and used one.

If they didn't have a lifetime guarantee, I'd imagine their used prices would drop significantly. With Leupold, the warranty is very important.

I know this will get the Leupold emotional support group in an uproar, but despite owning thousands of dollars worth of their scopes, I'll never buy a new one, and I have been selling & replacing them whenever I can.
I'm done with Leupold.

Last edited:
I had a leupold passed down to me from my father and one he bought for me on first rifle varII. Some time many years later one fogged and they fixed.One had cross hairs break loose,spent its life on a 300 wby.These are still on rifles ,passed on to my son.3rd generation and second on some.My main rifle was a 340 wby for 25+,then a 338 NM, 7-2oz.It got a mark 4. Had no problems.I had a black ring tactical,one of there first longer range type hunting scope,was dialing that years ago,and is on my 325 wsm,thats 6#.Son and I taken many trophys and more too come.

Attachments

• elk MF.JPG
    elk MF.JPG
    903.4 KB · Views: 57
  • WP 800 goat.jpg
    WP 800 goat.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1471.JPG
    IMG_1471.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 64
  • WP #1 whitey.jpg
    WP #1 whitey.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1533.JPG
    IMG_1533.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 50
I had a leupold passed down to me from my father and one he bought for me on first rifle varII. Some time many years later one fogged and they fixed.One had cross hairs break loose,spent its life on a 300 wby.These are still on rifles ,passed on to my son.3rd generation and second on some.My main rifle was a 340 wby for 25+,then a 338 NM, 7-2oz.It got a mark 4. Had no problems.I had a black ring tactical,one of there first longer range type hunting scope,was dialing that years ago,and is on my 325 wsm,thats 6#.Son and I taken many trophys and more too come.
nice animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.