Leupold zero lock / nightforce Zero stop ??????

Clarkdk7300

I recently purchased a Sako 85 in 7mm from a buddy who happens to be going through a divorce. For optics he chose a Leopold VX6 3-18x44 side focus cds-zl with a wind-plex illuminated reticle.
He Assembled this rifle with the thought of taking it elk hunting however that never happened.

Please note I apologize in advance if there are other brands out there about the question I'm about to ask however I searched and could not seem to find much information.

Luepold has what they referred to as a zero lock on the scope. One of my other Rifles has a nightforce nxs with a Zero stop! You basically zero in your rifle whatever you want then you tighten down the screws and replace the turret so you can return the zero anytime you want by turning the knob to zero.

I have looked at a leupold website and other places and I am trying to figure out what is the difference between zero lock and nightforces Zero stop ?

I plan to do the same thing he intended for this rifle and that is to make it my designated elk hunting rifle. I just didn't know if the scope or shall I say function is really what I'm wanting thank you.

don't hold me to this . I think the Leupold zero lock allows one full turn of the turret when it's set . it will turn up 1 full turn , and it will turn down 1 full turn to your set zero .

I have 2 NXS scopes so I know the nightforce zero stop does not limit the turret from going up . it only stops you at your set zero on the way down . you can turn your elevation turret up until the scope runs out of travel .

Leupold's Zero lock actually locks it at zero you need to push the release in order to turn the turret. The Vx-6 only allows one full turn up from whatever you set as zero on both of my Vx-6's with zero lock that is 18 3/4 MOA. The new VX-6 HD have 2 turns of the turret and I have heard that you can send the VX-6 in and they can update it to the 2 full turn version I have not actually confirmed this with Leupold though.

Thank you both for responding!

You are both correct on the once only turn for leupold!

So let me get this straight is this zero lock basically the same thing as zero stop for not force ?
Meaning let's say I want to zero this rifle at 200 yards but I unscrew the three Allan keys on top and remove the let's say I want to zero this rifle at 200 yards but I unscrew the three Allan keys on top and remove the current turret cap to tighten the screw down then replace the cap?
If I ever wanted to go back to my 200 yard zero just turn the cap back to zero correct?

Yes I could call Leupold again however every time I call I end up 36th in line and not around hours later when they call back.

I have a VX6 with the TMOA reticle. Don't know if it makes a difference, but let me attempt to explain setting the stop. I loosen the the three set screw and remove the cap. I zero the scope to 200 yards as needed. I then turn the inside sleeve of the cap until it is bottomed out against the top of the cap and place the cap back on the turret stem. Tighten the the three set screws and all is done for zero stop.

I have a vx6 that I recently bought on closeout as they went to the new HD model. I had it modified by Leupold, so I can maybe shed some light here for you.

The difference between the zero lock on the Leupold and the zero stop on the Nightforce, AFAIK, is the following:

The Nightforce is a zero stop. Like many other scopes, it allows you to dial up to your max elevation capacity, then dial all the way down to where you set the stop. So you have full use of all of your elevation but can not go below wherever you set your zero. What it does NOT do is protect the dial from inadvertent elevation changes, that is, there is no lock on the dial. You just grab and turn. Some people do not like this, as they have had the dial get turned by accident (bumped in a scabbard on a horse, hit by a branch whatever). I have heard several people I have talked to tell me this has actually happened to them, and Barsness recommended to me that on a hunting rifle, it should have a locking nob or covers. However, I have had just as many people say that's never happened, and some scopes, like Nightforce, have pretty positive clicks that resist accidental changes. I don't own a Nightforce, though I have played with them, so I can't say much about them in those terms. Still, I see more companies coming out with locking turrets (Zeiss etc.), and it's nice peace of mind that I personally appreciate. YMMV

The Leupold has a zero stop/zero lock as options. You could get a cds nob with a one turn zero stop, but no lock. This gives you approximately 19 MOA. That is the bottom choice, though I guess technically you could go without a stop on your dial as well. You could get a scope with a one turn zero stop AND a zero lock so the nob can not turn accidentally. And the new vx6 hd has a TWO turn zero stop and a zero lock, which gives you 39 MOA up and a locked nob (20 MOA for the first full turn, 19 MOA for the second turn, one MOA is used up for the stop mechanism).

My scope came with the bottom option, so I sent it in a month or so ago and had them put on the two turn stop with lock. So my scope now allows me 39 MOA of elevation, and when it is locked at zero, I don't have to worry about inadvertent bumps.

The cost to modify mine was minimal...like 50 or 75 bucks, IIRC. Yours might be less, as you already have a capability, but I might be wrong on that.

HTH!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.