Leupold vxiii or Vortex hs lr

Boman

My situation is I took a Leupold VXIII in trade and Im trying to decide if I should keep it or sell it. The scope I have is a leupold vxiii 4.5-14x50 duplex reticle. The scope is in excellent condition so no problem there. My dilema is whether I should keep it and put a target elevation turret or should I sell it and buy a Vortex hs lr 4-16x50. The vortex has all the features I want with no changes. Ive owned leupolds and know they work for me but im wondering if the vortex would be better. What do you guys think? Thanks

One thing about Leupold is they have a colt like following. I have sold all my Leupolds for more than I paid for them but I treat my optics like gold. I am sure you could sell it, buy the Vortex and be money ahead VS. haveing the Leu modified. Scope wise IMHO I think they are pretty close and either would treat you well.

The viper will be cheaper, and better. Cheaper and better is usually a winning combonation

The viper will be cheaper, and better. Cheaper and better is usually a winning combonation

In my mind cheaper and better is usually a marketing gimmick.........and what people tell themselves to justify not getting exactly what they want.

I'm in the Leupold Cult, send the VX-III back for an M-1 elevation dial and TMR reticle and you'll have a nice package.

Most all our rifles had Leupold vxiii, they all now wear Vortex pst's or HS LR's and couldn't be happier, thee upgrade for a Leupold vxiii is a Vortex IMO!!

My situation is I took a Leupold VXIII in trade and Im trying to decide if I should keep it or sell it. The scope I have is a leupold vxiii 4.5-14x50 duplex reticle. The scope is in excellent condition so no problem there. My dilema is whether I should keep it and put a target elevation turret or should I sell it and buy a Vortex hs lr 4-16x50. The vortex has all the features I want with no changes. Ive owned leupolds and know they work for me but im wondering if the vortex would be better. What do you guys think? Thanks

One small side note that might influence your decision about the Leupold. The M1 turret is quite tall and if you hand carry the rifle much the windage turret will poke you in the wrist. Very annoying and there will be no zero stop. Also if you horse back or use a outfitter the M1 turrets prevent the rifle from using a regular scabbard.

As you probably know the Vortex HS LR has a shorter elevation turret and a capped windage turret so will work in most scabbards and not present a problem when hand carrying the rifle.

In my mind cheaper and better is usually a marketing gimmick.........and what people tell themselves to justify not getting exactly what they want.

I'm in the Leupold Cult, send the VX-III back for an M-1 elevation dial and TMR reticle and you'll have a nice package.

There are alot of people who still swear leupold is the best. Typically those are the people who have not tried anything new since the early 90's. Back then leupold was the answer, but some time ago leupold stopped advancing their technoligy. A couple years ago they realized they let themselves get behind the 8 ball and started making progress, but durring their time off alot of companies passed them in quality while leupold just kept producing the same product and marking up the price so folks would still think they are top of the heap

Thanks everyone. Some good info to think over. Im leaning towards the Vortex at this point. I like not having to make major changes to the scope. I have leupolds and know they work but i agree they have fallen behind a little. Thanks everyone

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.