Leupold VXIII LR versus the Mark 4 whats the difference?

188MULE

I now own several Leupold VXIII LR scopes one a 4.5 x14x50 with gen 2 reticle from premeire reticle with out target knobs and a 6.5X20X50 with the varmint hunter reticle and target knobs with dust covers(pain in the butt). I purchased the 6.5 for a long range rifle I had built last year. Does anyone know the mechanical difference between these two models of the same power? I was thinking of sending the 6.5 in to upgrade the turrets to the M4. Is that worth the money or would just purchasing the Mark 4 be a better way to go?

I believe the Mark 4 has a stronger tube, heard that somewhere. Also, I talked to a Leupy tech a while back and asked about the internal adjustment system between the two. He said they both use the same type of system, but the Mark 4 is slightly heavier. THe way he put it made it sound more durable, especially in the real heavy calibers.

Leupold has a mark 5 now as well but I don't know the details

Optically they use the same glass between the mark 4 and the vx III series.

Mechanically the mark 4 is more robust... but a lot of guys are taking golden ring scopes to the custom shop for mark 1 turrets or cds or other styles so they must work as well.

Thanks that is what I thought, I know a new reticle runs $115 from leupolds shop but didn't ask about turret upgrades. Another question. When the scope caps are off of the target turrets on my VXIII LR is my scope still properly sealed from dust and moisture? Taking the covers on and off is a pain and who knows how many caps I'll loose thru the years, had to look for my elevation cap in the grass several times this fall. Anyone know the cost of the M1 turret upgrade? Will the VXIII internals hold up to years of cranking up and down on the knobs? Mine seems to track and rezero very very well.

You'll be fine with leaving the caps off and not worry about the weather or dirt, (unless its really bad) I leave mine off as well. The mark 4's dont even come with them so that must tell you something...

Glass wise they are the same. The only real difference is the M1 knob really. I do like the 1 big hex screw on the Mk4 versus the 3 little dinky ones on the vx3 scopes to reset the knob. I've stripped 1 out on my vx2 6-18. Leupold gladly sent me 3 more free of charge. Whether or not the MK4 is actually tougher, Im not completely sure either, but have kinda heard the same things about it just being built a little tougher... Both are good tough scopes. I put nothing but Leupolds on my centerfires...

Honestly you cant go wrong with the vx3 and the price difference vs the MK4 will leave you with a quality 20 moa base and rings.

I"ve dialed my vx3 from my 200 yard zero to 1200 yards and everything inbetween on my 338 edge with absolutely zero problems. It tracks and holds zero great. I think you can put a lot of years on them with no problems. I've only had 1 problem and thats on my vx2 6-18. Its about 6-7 year old scope and lord knows how many rounds its had fired, but I dialed up to 600 on a yote and then went down the road and saw one about 100 yards, so I dialed back down to my 200 yard zero and shot about 10 foot over him! Obviously it didn't work that time, but the next shot was spot on. Thats been the only problem I've ever had with any of my leupold vx2 or vx3's.

The M1 knob conversion I think is like $130-150 for both elevation/windage, not a bad deal really.

If you watch" hunting with the 300jazz" by 308nate. The 760yd antelope he shot, I had just missed. I had just shot at one at 800yds but shot a hair high because I had used my 30 degree chart but my rifle and ammo were about 75 degrees, the temperature of my truck, so I shot a little high. I put the rifle in the truck and we headed down the road and located another antelope. I had figure out why I had shot high so now I had the right chart. I dialed in for 760 and fired, way way over.
Nate looked at me and said where did you hit, I shot way over I said. Then I looked at my elevation knob "oops" dialed in 800 + 760 = way over. I asked nate if he was dailed in he said yes, a second later that goat was down.

The VXIII and the VX-3 have different erector springs. The VX-3 has a dual spring apparently similar to the Mark 4, vs the VXIII/VX-III and unders single spring.

The VXIII and the VX-3 have different erector springs. The VX-3 has a dual spring apparently similar to the Mark 4, vs the VXIII/VX-III and unders single spring.

The VX-III's with 30mm tube have the dual erector springs. The upgrade on the new models was only for the 1 inch tubes.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.