Leupold VXI or Nikon Monarch?

Drury

Need to buy a scope and was debating between the Leupold VXI 3-9x40 or the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40. Any opinions or other in the same low $200 price range?

In my opinion, the Nikon Monarch is more comparable to the Vari-X III of old. I would absolutely say the Monarch over the VX-1. Better light transmission, good clear optics, lot of scope for the money, lifetime warranty.
VX-1 is entry level. It comes with a good warranty and name, but not much else.

Drury, I've got 3 of the Nikon Monarchs and they are doing great. I sold off my Leupolds and have not looked back. Great light transmission on the Nikons and I really like the fast focus eyepiece and finger click adjustments on them. Only wish they offered a Boone and Crockett or ballisticplex reticle of some sort.

Monarch...Hands down!!!!

As the previous poster stated, the Monarch is really closer to the Vari-X-III, than the I.

Monarchs are really good scopes...sakofan...
wink.gif

I would I have used The nikon monarch and the leupold vari-X II and vari-x III, and i would say the nikon is more comparable to the vari-x II than the III. Just a personal opinionl, but between the variX I and the monarch i would go with the monarch.

If it's the new Monarch's your comparing, the glass is as good or better than the VX-III. The eye relief on the new Monarchs is very favorable also.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.