Leupold vx6hd vs Mark 5hd

Chaddrx

I am building a custom 6.5 Prc for a light weight backcountry mountain rifle. I am between a vx6hd or a Mark 5hd in either the 3-18/ 3.6-18. I am not partial to ffp or sfp as I have both. Most of my shots will be 350y and under but would like good repeatable dialing capabilities for shots on game out to 500y and steel out to 800y+.

Last edited:
I have both in the larger models & love both. I like the Mark5 turrets a little better but the illuminated reticle is a bonus on the VX6. You're gonna be happy with either one......

I have both in the larger models & love both. I like the Mark5 turrets a little better but the illuminated reticle is a bonus on the VX6. You're gonna be happy with either one......

Thanks for the info. I have heard mixed reviews on the vx series with tracking issues, but I feel that those worries have been resolved with the new models. I would love the weight savings and the illuminated reticle of the vx6hd if it in fact performs as it should.

Thanks for the info. I have heard mixed reviews on the vx series with tracking issues, but I feel that those worries have been resolved with the new models. I would love the weight savings and the illuminated reticle of the vx6hd if it in fact performs as it should.
Both scopes perform flawlessly for me. No tracking issues with them. I picked the larger models of each as I could eliminate the need for a spotting scope when hunting...they are very large but I'm extremely happy with my decision. My VX6 is literally 8oz heavier than the vx3 it replaced

I'm trying to decide if I should get 2 vx5 3to15 or 1 vx6 3to18 for the same money. Supposed to be the same glass and erector system in both.
Shep

I am building a custom 6.5 Prc for a light weight backcountry mountain rifle. I am between a vx6hd or a Mark 5hd in either the 3-18/ 3.6-18. I am not partial to ffp or sfp as I have both. Most of my shots will be 350y and under but would like good repeatable dialing capabilities for shots on game out to 500y and steel out to 800y+.

I'vee had tracking issues with a vx6 and vx5hd, I also have two Mk5's they are really solid and track dead on.
You can't even compare them to a vx6, only downside is they're much heavier for a lightweight hunting setup.
I'd check out the Vortex LHT for what you're wanting to do, or the 3.6-18 mk5 if you're ok with a 26 oz scope

I'vee had tracking issues with a vx6 and vx5hd, I also have two Mk5's they are really solid and track dead on.
You can't even compare them to a vx6, only downside is they're much heavier for a lightweight hunting setup.
I'd check out the Vortex LHT for what you're wanting to do, or the 3.6-18 mk5 if you're ok with a 26 oz scope

I believe the razor LHT just came out. I have not had a chance to look through one yet. They look to have good specs, but vortex just scares me as a company. Do you have any experience with the razor LHT?

I believe the razor LHT just came out. I have not had a chance to look through one yet. They look to have good specs, but vortex just scares me as a company. Do you have any experience with the razor LHT?
Not the LHT but I do have a Razor AMG, the Razor line tracks and lots of guys are running them for PRS matches.
I've read some posts on the LHTs and guys are cranking the turrets a lot, so far reports look good for tracking

Had both, and sold both. I am super picky when it come to tracking, and neither the MK5 or VX6 track as well as an ATACR. MK5 is close, but not as good. My VX6 had two mechanical failures in addition to not tracking as well. Leupold's customer service is awesome, so the issues where taken care of immediately. I have no idea how nightforce's customer service is, I have never needed it. For me, an extra 10-12 ounces for absolute reliability is a small pice to pay. That being said, if a lightweight F2 ATACR was to be made, I'll be the first guy in line.

There are a few other sites that guys are testing the LRT and so far so good. Everybody says tracking has been spot on. Only one complaint about the glass. But really how bad can the glass be on a Razor.
Shep

Had both, and sold both. I am super picky when it come to tracking, and neither the MK5 or VX6 track as well as an ATACR. MK5 is close, but not as good. My VX6 had two mechanical failures in addition to not tracking as well. Leupold's customer service is awesome, so the issues where taken care of immediately. I have no idea how nightforce's customer service is, I have never needed it. For me, an extra 10-12 ounces for absolute reliability is a small pice to pay. That being said, if a lightweight F2 ATACR was to be made, I'll be the first guy in line.

So what about the nx8 2.5 x 20 scope? Would that fit the bill?

I have no experience with the NX8, but I have heard lots of good reports about them. I'm an F2 guy, and too old to change, but if they do make an F2 NX8 in the future, I'll be trying one. Would be perfect on any rifle, not just a lightweight. Just to be clear, I tried for a long time not to use nightforce, strictly because of weight. The absolute durability of their top end products finally sold me. And I'll admit, abuse caused some of my scope issues. The abuse continues, but the nightforce scopes just take it and don't complain.

In relation to the glass difference between the VX-5HD and the VX-6HD, I do not believe they are the same. The 6HD was significantly clearer. The 6HD and Mk5, looked very close. I can believe they are the same glass, I don't believe the 5HD and 6HD are though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.