Leupold VX6HD or Zeiss V6

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've used leupold scopes since the 1970's . The newest ones I have are the vx-6 not hd . I have never had to send a scope back for repair . I have dropped two different rifles off my shoulder with one hitting concrete and one hard ground , there was no damage to either scope . I still use my very first leupold scope today . I have considered buying a ziess scope and I think they are very good quality . Good luck on your choice of scopes

I use Zeiss products extensively and have only very good things to say about the scope line, and especially the V6. I now have 3 of them and they are a very good deal. As for Zeiss warranty issues, i've only sent 2 Zeiss scopes back over the last 15 years. With the first one, Zeiss sent me a loaner scope and fully repaired the broken scope. On the second scope, they verified the issue and instead of repairing the scope, upgraded the scope and sent me a brand new one.

I will continue to use Zeiss.

I have two Zeiss V-6 and am really pleased with them. Glass quality is great. I have only looked through a VX6HD in a store which isn't a great comparison. I think the turrets on the Zeiss are much better with a lot more travel as well. The zero stop is fairly easy to set as well. In a choice between these two, I would go Zeiss.

Flip a coin. I own the VX-5HD and I think the glass is GREAT. I was looking at zeiss as well, but I really like the CDS system. All my scopes have the CDS option.

Should have mentioned, but Red Hawk Rifles has a great buy on Zeiss scopes. They say they are "demo", however the scope I purchased had the box still sealed. go figure.

I received my scope, man that was FAST! RHR rocks! Overall the V4 is nice. This is my first Zeiss. I find it interesting by adjusting the diopter it changes the thickness of the reticle. Never seen that before. I find it weird, but also find it could come in really handy for precision shooting or for hunting when you want the reticle thicker. Great design/idea! It's almost like using a FFP scope when you zoom the reticle gets bigger... That's what the eye peice does when your on the same power magnification. Im curious to see if the POI changes when adjusting the eye piece. Anyone who uses Zeiss, is this normal operation for them? Very interesting.

Switched to VX6 after Zeiss' flop with the 5HD line, which had poor low light performance and was such a weak performer that the resale value dropped like a rock. I essentially got stuck with a weak performing, low value scope......costly mistake. The VX6 has tracked perfectly, glass is very good, customer service is solid (always pick up the phone), warranty I hear is top notch, and accessories (like screw in caps) are a huge plus. I do hear good things about the V-6 line now too, but remain skeptical until further proven.

I took a video so I could see where the crosshair was before and after while adjusting... The crosshair didn't change overall but it was like it was magnifying the image. Much more noticable than any other optic I have used. Hard to explain. Much different than my past vortex or current leupold scopes.

I am a fan! I was curious how it compared to my VX3i and I would take the Zeiss V4 anyday. The glass on the VX3i is very good, but its like looking through a tunnel compared to the Zeiss.

Last edited:
Alaska_Guy, the fist time I came across what you are seeing was with a Leica ER 2.5-10x42mm, I actually thought it was faulty but when I looked at another one it was the same. It is like you are turning the magnification ring rather than the actual eyepiece. The diopter focuses the cross hairs and once it is done you shouldn't have to alter it again unless your eyesight changes. Enjoy your new Zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.