Leupold VX6HD or Zeiss V6

Rick Richard

looking for experiences and opinions only for Leupold VX6HD and Zeiss V6 scopes. Going to purchase one, but not until I get some feedback from the group. Thanks in advance for your input.

Hands-down, the Zeiss V6!

Once you shoot through a high-end Zeiss, the word Leupold will be lost from your vernacular. And this is coming from a former Leupold fan...I've owned several, and still think they're good scopes, but for their prices (and lack of technological advancement), there are much better options out there.

I have 4 VX6 HDS and I like them a lot over the old VX6 model. I never owned a Zeiss and I won't because Leupold has a better warranty system. If something goes bad with a Zeiss and it's not an easy fix, that scope has to go back to Germany and could take months for you to get it back. Leupold customer service is top notch and turn arounds in the custom shop are fast. Leupold also has a reticle cant feature in the scope which I really like for long shots. It definitely helps out in the field. Zeiss doesn't have that or an illuminated reticle for that matter. Leupold gets my vote.

They aren't really in the same league particularly when you look at the price tag.

I now have 6 of the VX-6's and if I could afford to do so I'd replace all of my other scopes with them.

If you have the budget and want the Zeiss, no problem but in reality you won't ever be able to appreciate the difference in dollars in the field.

I just sold a VX-6 Its glass was great. I have two Zeiss V-6s and the glass is better. I bought them at incredible Demo discount prices. I think these two Zeiss scopes glass is slightly better than my Athlon Cronus BTR and that glass was better than the Leupold VX-6. But have never looked thru the VX-6HD though. What Patton says about warranty concerns me.

In the last few months I have read a lot of complaints about Leupold scopes including the VX6HD. Faults such as scopes not tracking, erector springs breaking, scopes that have had to be returned to Leupold more than once. If you do a search I think you will quickly find what I am referring to. If you download the Zeiss V6 manual you will see that they have a lifetime transferable warranty and the V6 also has an additional 5 year no fault clause. For clarification I am not associated with Zeiss in any way, nor do I work for a company that sells Zeiss. If my only choices were a Leupold VX6HD or a Zeiss V6 my hard earned cash would go to Zeiss.

Leupold has very good warranty and customer service - unfortunately it needs to be used fairly frequently. And it does me no good on a hunting trip.
Certainly not my experience with them. In 40 years I've had to send two scopes back in to them both of which due to damage that was purely my own fault.

Currently I have 12 Leupolds mounted on rifles and have no issues with any of them.

I have only owned one Leupold scope since I 'graduated' from 100 yd shots in the southern deer woods as a kid...I used to have 3-9x40 VX3's back in those days. I was a bonafide Leupold supporter.

I had a set of binos fall off my leg onto the dirt in a ground blind a few years ago...eyepiece snapped off from the fall. Was it my fault? Yes...but that 2 ft fall onto soft dirt should be a normal day at the office for hunting binos. Leupold stepped up - I lived in Portland and drove to HQ for a swap. They didn't have those binos so they gave me the next model up that they had available, which was the BX4 binos. I went from a $200 pair of binos to a $500 pair....but the fact remains that I was with severely crippled (almost useless) binos on my $5k+ deer hunting trip. Reading about other stories and my experience pushed me to focus on reliability and ruggedness above all else. Haven't bought a Leupold product since.

I have used both for many years. Never had a problem with either. I say look through both of them if you can and buy the one that you prefer. For my money I'll usually buy Leupold because of the warranty and the fact they live in my home town. They have all tracked and worked perfectly for me.

I have 4 VX6 HDS and I like them a lot over the old VX6 model. I never owned a Zeiss and I won't because Leupold has a better warranty system. If something goes bad with a Zeiss and it's not an easy fix, that scope has to go back to Germany and could take months for you to get it back. Leupold customer service is top notch and turn arounds in the custom shop are fast. Leupold also has a reticle cant feature in the scope which I really like for long shots. It definitely helps out in the field. Zeiss doesn't have that or an illuminated reticle for that matter. Leupold gets my vote.
I can speak personally for zeiss customer service. I had a really old conquest that developed an issue with the paralax knob slipping, I sent it back and within a few weeks a brand new hd5 was delivered to my door, I was blown away..
I've got a v6 and its flipping awesome, Redhawk rifles has the v6 5-30x50 on sale for around $1200.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.