LEUPOLD VX6HD FRUSTRATION!!!!

Not trying to get any knickers in a bunch but there are some pretty stout and objective scope field evaluations here that uncover some generally terrible performance across many brands. The gentleman who runs the testing puts an ungodly number of rounds down range and isn't on any optic company's payroll. I find it nice to read some objective testing data not based on emotional attachment or "I've owned x scope for x years and it's fine"

Leupold mark 5 failed, Swaro fails, Zeiss fails, Tract Toric fails, Vortex 🤯. I have not read through all but the only scopes passing all tests I found are Nightforce, SWFA, and Schmidt & Bender.

The tests are pretty good entertainment if you have some time to kill:

Very interesting article on rokslide. I only actually read the test of the NF atacr as NF are the only scopes I use anymore. My experience has been similar, I've never had a NF fail to perform.

So why then, are there always so many NF scopes for sale on here (always)? Seems if you have the perfect scope, you would never let it go
Guys are always chasing that better product and think they need it. They can upgrade to another newer model NF or they think they can do better with a lighter scope Of a different manufacturer. I love that guys feel this way because it allows one the opportunity to upgrade to the perfect scope for a very reasonable price in some cases. I'll take a used NF over anything else out there all day long. People complain about the Weight, and Clarity but I have never had an issue with weight and I consider 5.5-22x56s another spotting scope😏. What no one(I know of)who has a ever used one complains about is the to hell And back reliability/repeatability.

Guys are always chasing that better product and think they need it. They can upgrade to another newer model NF or they think they can do better with a lighter scope Of a different manufacturer. I love that guys feel this way because it allows one the opportunity to upgrade to the perfect scope for a very reasonable price in some cases. I'll take a used NF over anything else out there all day long. People complain about the Weight, and Clarity but I have never had an issue with weight and I consider 5.5-22x56s another spotting scope😏. What no one(I know of)who has a ever used one complains about is the to hell And back reliability/repeatability.
Just like he said... agreed x10. This is why I'm leaning the NF direction.

So why then, are there always so many NF scopes for sale on here (always)? Seems if you have the perfect scope, you would never let it go?
There is no perfect scope - it is about what you want to optimize for. NF aren't the cheapest or the lightest. No brand has everything. In addition, priorities, hobbies, and life all change over time. And if the perfect scope was made, it wouldn't be inexpensive, therefore it wouldn't be perfect for a chunk of the market.

Not trying to get any knickers in a bunch but there are some pretty stout and objective scope field evaluations here that uncover some generally terrible performance across many brands. The gentleman who runs the testing puts an ungodly number of rounds down range and isn't on any optic company's payroll. I find it nice to read some objective testing data not based on emotional attachment or "I've owned x scope for x years and it's fine"

Leupold mark 5 failed, Swaro fails, Zeiss fails, Tract Toric fails, Vortex 🤯. I have not read through all but the only scopes passing all tests I found are Nightforce, SWFA, and Schmidt & Bender.

The tests are pretty good entertainment if you have some time to kill:

Formidilous on Rok Slide has a cult following of group thinkers but my style of hunting has nothing in common with his testing. The most excitement my scope experiences is a walk from the truck to the box blind. I'm not snowboarding and rock climbing mountains with a rifle.

So far, my VX6 has worked perfectly. I'm not prone to dropping scopes, but I do worry about tracking and RTZ. I'm not saying my scopes never get bumped, but I don't think I ever impart more g's than the recoil of a rifle. Then again, I don't hunt more than 1/2 mile from the truck where a spare gun waits if I think I've bumped a scope hard enough to concern me.

Formidilous on Rok Slide has a cult following of group thinkers but my style of hunting has nothing in common with his testing. The most excitement my scope experiences is a walk from the truck to the box blind. I'm not snowboarding and rock climbing mountains with a rifle.
Yeah, I'm no Form disciple. I own no Tikka's and no Nightforce, I do have an S&B from before I ever heard of him. I do respect the heck out of his rigor and consistency. And his testing isn't for rock climbing. One thing he does is leaves scoped rifles in his truck during testing to see if they hold zero between miles on his back seat. Read that Mark 5 Leupold test. It lost zero about 3 times just riding in the back seat, the last of which looks to be about 3moa. Do you drive with your rifle? Have you ever flown with your rifle?

Yeah, I'm no Form disciple. I own no Tikka's and no Nightforce, I do have an S&B from before I ever heard of him. I do respect the heck out of his rigor and consistency. And his testing isn't for rock climbing. One thing he does is leaves scoped rifles in his truck during testing to see if they hold zero between miles on his back seat. Read that Mark 5 Leupold test. It lost zero about 3 times just riding in the back seat, the last of which looks to be about 3moa. Do you drive with your rifle? Have you ever flown with your rifle?
The way I read that, all of the truck seat stuff was after the three 3' drop tests. Sounds to me like internal component damage. I'm just speculating though based on the way I read it.

I drive an hour one way to my hunting lease and when I get there, I have to go through a gate and 4WD a logging road and field edge. I shoot my guns all the time during season and none of them have drastically lost zero. Here is my stable and they all hold zero and track.

Attachments

• DB9F1339-E702-421F-B55F-1AAB60B197A2.jpeg
    DB9F1339-E702-421F-B55F-1AAB60B197A2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
I did lose my gun out of the back of my Mule at full speed (about 22mph). It was in a thin gun case, providing minimal protection. I found it gone when I got to the parking spot in the woods. I backtracked and found it on the edge of the hard-pack road through the field. I felt confident enough with the scope that I continued to the woods (was also running very late, and going back to the house to swap guns would have added close to 10 minutes) with it. When I got out of the woods I shot it and it hit exactly where it was sighted to hit. I don't have any idea what the impact of the gun looked like as it took flight, but I'm pretty sure it would have equaled the 18" drop and probably the 36" (the bed is well above waist high).