Leupold VX6 vs VX5

I am in the market for two new scopes for a couple of rifles I am building/Setting up for a 2020 Elk Hunt.

I am mainly looking at three different scopes, VX6 3x18, 4x24, and the VX5 4x20

I have searched this sight and others for input about the differences.

From you experience, what do you gain with the VX6 or the VX5?
When I called Leupold, I just got a sales pitch for the VX6.

I am not too keen on the VX6 34mm tube or the price tag.

Anyone got some first hand experience with these scopes for a comarison?

Thanks in advance for your input/

Randy
I have hunted with a VX-6 HD 4-24 for 3 years now. My primary hunting every year is for Coues deer so that was part of the drive to go with the higher power scope. If I was looking for an all around western scope the 3-18 would be a first choice as it is a little lighter and more than enough scope for 95% of all shot situations.

The spendy Leupold VX6 scopes are:
1. They are SFP and I want FFP to use with my laser rangefinder binoculars whose ballistic engine gives me a hold readout.
2. They are MOA and I want mil radian B/C that's what I use for competition, it's familiar
3. I don't want just an illuminated dot, I want the entire reticle illuminated
4. I want a reticle with numbered graduations

So for me the Leupold VX6 scopes are far from my requirements.
But

Eric B.

zr600, You're correct but let me amend my post. (I was called away and couldn't finish.)

PLEASE Leupold, make the VX6 in a FFP, mil/mil and entirely lighted reticle with hash marks and numbers. I'll pay another $200.for that.

Last edited:
The spendy Leupold VX6 scopes are:
1. They are SFP and I want FFP to use with my laser rangefinder binoculars whose ballistic engine gives me a hold readout.
2. They are MOA and I want mil radian B/C that's what I use for competition, it's familiar
3. I don't want just an illuminated dot, I want the entire reticle illuminated
4. I want a reticle with numbered graduations

So for me the Leupold VX6 scopes are far from my requirements.

Eric B.
I think most people were answering Randy's question. As I was. He was asking about VX5 vs VX6.

I have a vx5hd 3-15 love the scope! When I spoke with Leupold the rep told me the only difference really between the two was the main tube size difference and more features with the vx6hd to me it wasn't worth the1k price difference but each to their own. Great scope no complaints good luck!

The issues for the 4-20 vx5 and 4-24 vx6 are the tube diameter (34mm) and objective size (52mm for the vx5).
Give me a 30mm tube and a 44 mm objective. This is a hunting scope.
The vx6 had the aluminum caps and the internal cant indicator.
I'm adding a 6hd 3-18 44mm to my 338 edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.