Leupold VX6 vs VX5

Randy Tidwell

I am in the market for two new scopes for a couple of rifles I am building/Setting up for a 2020 Elk Hunt.

I am mainly looking at three different scopes, VX6 3x18, 4x24, and the VX5 4x20

I have searched this sight and others for input about the differences.

From you experience, what do you gain with the VX6 or the VX5?
When I called Leupold, I just got a sales pitch for the VX6.

I am not too keen on the VX6 34mm tube or the price tag.

Anyone got some first hand experience with these scopes for a comarison?

Thanks in advance for your input/

Randy

I am in the market for two new scopes for a couple of rifles I am building/Setting up for a 2020 Elk Hunt.

I am mainly looking at three different scopes, VX6 3x18, 4x24, and the VX5 4x20

I have searched this sight and others for input about the differences.

From you experience, what do you gain with the VX6 or the VX5?
When I called Leupold, I just got a sales pitch for the VX6.

I am not too keen on the VX6 34mm tube or the price tag.

Anyone got some first hand experience with these scopes for a comarison?

Thanks in advance for your input/

Randy

I think the 4-20 VX5HD is also a 34mm tube isn't it? I was bummed about that - seems unnecessary for a hunting scope. I also thought the 3-18 VX6HD has a 30mm tube, could be wrong tho. Glass is the same in both, the VX6HD comes with the alumina caps and the exposed windage turret. You can't go wrong either way...

I have a couple VX5HD's on hunting rigs and love them.

Last edited:
Randy,
I have both and like the VX5-HD 3-15X the most. Super clear, great tracking. The latest have 34mm main tubes as already noted, but lots of 2019 inventory on shelves which I am sure will be going on "sale" soon to make room for the latest and greatest.
The older versions of the VX6, before they started adding "HD" to everything, are just as good as the newer models, IMO.

I've have both VX6 and VX6HD. The first version definitely needs switch view levers. The HD comes w/ the thumb knob. I prefer the NF 5-25 ATACR. Both are 34mm which I like. Seekins rings. NF is definitely worth he extra $$ to me.

I like the capped windage turrets for hunting rifles. I have 1 designated range gun in 260 rem that has exposed windage turrets.

I haven't seen the most obvious thing pointed out yet.

VX6 have a 6x zoom vs VX5 only having a 5X zoom.

You definitely pay for the added zoom.

The added price for caps and a higher zoom ratio wasn't worth it for me. If you shop around the VX5 3-15 can be had in the mid to high $700s. Value seemed right for me and I couldn't justify the extra expense for the VX6. I've only had it out a few times but have been impressed with the glass quality and like the fire dot on the model I chose. Paired with a set of Seekins 30mm low rings and the cheek weld is just about perfect.

I have a VX6 3x18x44 30mm tube cds not HD super good no complaints. friend has vx5, not bad but vx6 better in my opinion

I changed from the VX-5HD 3-15X44 30MM CDS (MFG Model #: 172368) to the VX-6HD 3-18X44 30MM CDS (MFG Model #: 171565). The price difference was $433.49. I can't discern any difference. I really didn't gain anything from making the change. Both scopes are excellent quality and work exceptionally well.

I have both on 2 different hunting rifles the VX5HD 3-15x50 the V6HD 3-18x50 both have the same glass. The VX6 came with caps and a quick throw lever and exposed windage turrents.(that locks so it cant be bumped) You can buy the VX5HD for $799 if you shop, the VX6 are around $1400 to $1500 if you shop around. Both are excellent glass with as good of low light glass there is!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.