Leupold VX6 vs NF SHV

Wildcater, that's a fair question, I was at a local Cabela's since that was the only place that had all 5 scopes for me to look through at the same time. I used objects like street signs to birds to trees, I like to look at real life objects since that is what I'll tend to look at while hunting. I also looked at distances from 200-1500yrds. I'm pretty fair to myself when considering spending $1000-$2000 on a scope, so other than warranties brand name comes second to quality and optics!

Thanks for the reply. I purchased a Nightforce 12-42X56, Leupold 4-24X52, a couple Swarovski 5-25X52's, a couple Bushnell 4 1/2-30X5's. I also borrowed a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 to add to the mix. I compared them on print, eye charts and antlers in daylight and dwindling light.

The comparisons lasted several days with a couple other guys participating. We agreed during the day the Swarovski came in last for resolving detail when all were set on the same power. In low light the Bushnell came in last. During daylight the VX-6 shows more natural color than the Swarovski. During low light the Leupold VX-6 and Swarovski lasted the same amount of time.

The Nightforces were in a class above the others. They needed several numbers less on the power ring for us to see the same detail and lasted more than a few minutes longer in low light.

Wildcater, did you have any SHV's or were they the NXS and above, the VX-6 I looked through was the 3x18, I have a new Cooper rifle coming and I'm considering the VX-6 4x24x52 BC Ret., I've had great luck with Leupold's in the past. I really liked they NXS but for my practical use and what I'm going to use it for, hunting and occasional steel out to 1500yrds, I'm not sure if the extra $650 & 1/2 lbs is needed (I tend to walk a long way)! And I'm pushing the wife on the funds level, plus I'm paying for a buffalo shoulder mount my 12 year old drew in his first year of hunting up here in MT. (Missed Boone & Crockett by 4in) Have you ever looked through the Sightron SIII, nobody around here sells them so I've never looked through one, I have a friend who went off the reviews and bought it blind and seems to like it, I haven't had a chance to look through his.

Not sure on the Vortex coatings/lenses just yet. I have a Viper HS and comparing it to my Leupold VXIII, the Leupold wins even on the higher magnification. In low light and bright sun. However that's not to say that the Vortex isn't a great scope, it is! I have a 2.5-10 PST on backorder, can't wait to test it!
I've looked through a couple VX6's in the past couple weeks. The clarity is unreal!
I think the scopes between the Loopy and the NF are two different classes, the NF is a tacticool scope whole the Leupold is a high end hunting scope. The clicks on the Leupold aren't as defined as on the turrets of the NF, but for a general hunting scope that's just fine. Hard to beat that power range, from way low to up high... Probably will get the Leupold. Thanks

I'm thinking of VX6, for a LW scope. My question isn't on the optics, I'm sure they are good. My question is the tracking and repeatability. I would sure like to hear more about the turret system. Thanks.

I recently purchased a VX6 3-18x50 TMOA for my 338 RUM. I wanted a lighter scope without the weight of a NF and so far I am very happy with how the VX6 is working. The TMOA reticle is plenty thin for as far as I'm going to hunt with this 338 and the clarity/contrast/color is excellent. The TMOA version comes with capped target knobs and even if you get a CDS dial they remain capped if you want to use the cap. The guys at Leupold say they are still fully weather/water proof with the turrets exposed, although I'm planning on leaving the caps on so I don't bump the turrets. They also have a zero stop that works good enough. Are the turret clicks as crisp as my ATACR? of course not. Can I dial to the exact MOA that I want? yes, very easily.

I have owned Vortex PST's and Leupold VX3's and to my eyes the VX6 is a big step in optical quality above those scopes. I have used the VX6 side by side with my ATACR and although the optics are not quite as good they are not too far behind. Not enough for me to want to carry the heavier NF around.

Digging up an older thread. The Leopold VX-6's were said to have some serious problems with the magnification ring being to stiff. Said to be even worse in cold weather. Can anyone comment on this?

My VX6 has been a solid scope on my 338 RUM. Never changes POI and I was holding sub 1/4 moa groups at 1000 yards. My experience with the scope has been excellent. I think others have had trouble holding POI, so maybe I got lucky and got a good one.

No problems with the magnification ring in cold temps either.

I do like my VX6, but the magnification ring is a bit stiff. With that said, all other features out weigh this small negative in my opinion. Oh by the way, the TMOA reticle is the 'cats meow'.

If you buy the VX6 4x18 in 44 or 50MM in TMOA you WILL get a tactical capped turret in MOA format. Plus they did a good job of zero stops on this model. I don't know if they do CDS dials but I don't see the advantage if you're a long range shooter using MOA drops. The reticle has MOA graduation and is not too thick a reticle compared to others. Great scope. Check it out on their web sight but they don't talk at all about their tactical turrets on this model.

Recent Posts