LEUPOLD VX6 overall quality doubt

overspin67

I was comparing the overall construction quality of a pair of new VX6 (a 7/4x56 and a 4/24x52) along with a 6 years "old and plain" VX-III 6.5/20 x 50 LR Target and, to tell you frankly I'm a little baffled: lens quality apart (that's obivously the business here but I would not enter into merits ..) imho there has been a details quality drop in the new VX6 versus the old VXIII; i.e. magnification knob is really harder and incostant to adjust, on the other hand focus/parallax adjustment seems flimsy, turret clicks are absolutely not so crisp and sharp as the VXIII, turret caps thread are not so clear-cut; even the (laser?) engraved writing, all over the scope seems quite faint compared to the old model.
I would not jump to hasty conclusions (the 2 scopes I've checked could be an exception..) or give the impression to be too finicky, so I'd be glad to know the opinion of other guys here .

Opinions vary! I like leupold. I have 3 VX-6's right now and they work perfectly for me. Funny how the internet works. Conjecture and Opinion become fact.

Opinions vary! I like leupold. I have 3 VX-6's right now and they work perfectly for me. Funny how the internet works. Conjecture and Opinion become fact.

Funny that you are calling the op a liar when he's simply reporting his personal experience.

Here is one of the three VX-6's I had to return because the zoom was louder than a zipper when I turned it. This was recorded with my cell phone which does not have a very good microphone. It was LOUD.
20150225_203216_zps6ueibrdi.mp4 Video by rwedgy | Photobucket

Here was another that had issues with the side parallax adjustment. Two of them had issues with that. I could here what sounded like a spring clicking and getting higher pitched as I would turn the knob. The other was sticking out about 1/16th of on inch and loose.
20150127_173139_zpsp80fzeie.mp4 Video by rwedgy | Photobucket
I went over 3 months without a scope that I had just paid over a thousand dollars for while they were being returned and evaluated. All three were eventually replaced. While everyone at Leupold was very courteous and gave me almost daily updates of who had my scope and what they were doing, I would rather have had a scope to put on my new rifle for deer season. "Just had lunch with Jim and he is aware of your scope", "Patrick has you scope now and he one of our best". It was ridiculous. And I paid ~$30 to ship the 1st one back insured. I asked for a return label for the others. Probably could have got my money back but I was kind of done with Leupold at that point.
When they function they are great, I have two of them, 4-24x52 and 3-18x50, really love the zoom range and the glass is very good.

As to the OP I do think some of the quality has been lost.

I own more Leupold scopes than any other brand and I have only returned one only to find out later that it was my mounting system. I have returned a Swarovski, a new bushy LRHS and S&B and I still use them today and I would not consider these to be trash. Man made things sometimes break or get assembled wrong. Leupold customer service is great. When I send a scope in for reticle change they go through the scope and replace anything worn if needed at no cost. I have a new VX6 and it is awesome and I consider it the best all around hunting scope on the market.

I own more Leupold scopes than any other brand and I have only returned one only to find out later that it was my mounting system. I have returned a Swarovski, a new bushy LRHS and S&B and I still use them today and I would not consider these to be trash. Man made things sometimes break or get assembled wrong. Leupold customer service is great. When I send a scope in for reticle change they go through the scope and replace anything worn if needed at no cost. I have a new VX6 and it is awesome and I consider it the best all around hunting scope on the market.

I have 3 VX-6's right now. I have been using Leupold scopes for over 40 years and have never sent one in for repair. Hunting, benchrest, handgun, varmint and just regular plinking. I like leupold.

i agree with op. i have a vx 6 and im not impressed with it. figuring it should be good just because of the name and the price i paid was my first mistake. there are better options out there for the same amount of money or cheaper

i agree with op. i have a vx 6 and im not impressed with it. figuring it should be good just because of the name and the price i paid was my first mistake. there are better options out there for the same amount of money or cheaper

Lately I am in the market for another scope. Don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe the OP would like to know the same thing I am interested in. What are the better options out there for the same amount of money or cheaper?

Lately I am in the market for another scope. Don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe the OP would like to know the same thing I am interested in. What are the better options out there for the same amount of money or cheaper?

IMO vortex carries the best all around value in every class of scope

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.