Leupold VX6 CDS repeat ability?

Stonegoat

I have a cooper Excalibur in 6.5 Creedmoor on order, and am trying to decide on a scope for it. I want a ballistic turret and so far am vacillating between the Swarovski Z5 BT and the VX6 CDS. The leupold comes in several hundred dollars cheaper. I am sure the Swarovski would perform flawlessly, but how about the leupold? Are the adjustments with the CDS repeatable?? Thanks!

I have a cooper Excalibur in 6.5 Creedmoor on order, and am trying to decide on a scope for it. I want a ballistic turret and so far am vacillating between the Swarovski Z5 BT and the VX6 CDS. The leupold comes in several hundred dollars cheaper. I am sure the Swarovski would perform flawlessly, but how about the leupold? Are the adjustments with the CDS repeatable?? Thanks!

The CDS works off the elevation turret. It will be just as accurate as calculating your range and moa adjustment from a ballistic calculator with one caveat.

the CDS dial is correct for one bullet, BC, elevation, temp, humidity and bullet velocity. if you change any of this it might be a little or lot off.

Combine the CDS dial and the G7 and you have the best of both worlds.

Stonegoat,

On 24hourcampfire the general consensus is Swarovski binoculars are great but their z5 scopes are not. I purchased four and one Leupold VX-6. If I was going to get another, it would not be a Swarovski. In addition to that it seems the glass in the VX-6 is a little better for seeing detail than the z5.

I have a VX6 3-18x50 and have spent enough time shooting it to know that the turrets are extremely repeatable. I have also shot a box test to prove the repeatability where I worked my way around the box 1 shot at a time and then circled back around. All of the 2-shot groups on each target fell within the 1/4 moa to sub 1/4 moa of the rifles proven accuracy, and that was running the elevation turret through 35 moa of vertical adjustment and the windage turret through 28 moa of horizontal adjustment.

I have a VX6 3-18x50 and have spent enough time shooting it to know that the turrets are extremely repeatable. I have also shot a box test to prove the repeatability where I worked my way around the box 1 shot at a time and then circled back around. All of the 2-shot groups on each target fell within the 1/4 moa to sub 1/4 moa of the rifles proven accuracy, and that was running the elevation turret through 35 moa of vertical adjustment and the windage turret through 28 moa of horizontal adjustment.

Thanks for the input. I am still not sure which direction I am leaning, but this helps

I just saw pictures of a taller turret that Leupold is offering for the VX6 scopes now. I believe they are being called a Tactical turret. To me they look like a Taller hunting turret. Not as tall as the M1. I'll try to locate those pictures.

I just saw pictures of a taller turret that Leupold is offering for the VX6 scopes now. I believe they are being called a Tactical turret. To me they look like a Taller hunting turret. Not as tall as the M1. I'll try to locate those pictures.

Ok thanks!

I can post up pictures of my turrets... I've got the taller tactical style on my VX6.

I talked to Leupold about this, and they admit that they did a bad job in marketing the different VX6 options properly. So the VX6 3-18x50 I got has the TMOA reticle. I believe you can get the TMOA reticle with the 4-24x52 as well... The scopes with the TMOA reticle come standard with the taller tactical turrets while the duplex reticle versions come with the standard hunting turrets that are more low profile. Although the 4-24 is not offered with a duplex reticle, only the TMOA.

The other added benefit of the tactical turrets is that the zero stop design allows for full rotation through the entire elevation range (multiple revolutions) rather than just being limited to a single rotation like the lower profile hunting style CDS turret.

Leupold also confirmed that the turrets are still fully waterproof with the caps removed in case you want to hunt with exposed turrets. I actually like my turrets capped, but at least good to know all your options.

Ok thanks!

I have been a leupold guy all my life and I am 60. I don't have any idea how many I have owned over the years but I do know I have never had a problem with one.

I own 3 VX-6's right now. A 2-12 that is on my deer rifle. A 4-24 on my precision AR and a 7-42 on my long range rifle.

All have passed the box test with flying colors. Elevation changes are accurate and return to 0 always brings it back to the 100 yrd zero.

Fast focus works very well

Glass is as good as any and better than many.

I have never owned a Nightforce or March or Zeiss.

Leupold works for me

Found the pictures on another site.

Attachments

• vx6 tacitcal turrets_zpsjv866ias.jpg
    vx6 tacitcal turrets_zpsjv866ias.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 434
Found the pictures on another site.

I've been follow the VX 6s closely ever since they came out, but haven't heard or seen this.

I've always thought the 3-18 would make the perfect hunting/long range/target scope, but wished it came with taller turrets and a TMOA retice.

When did the TMOA option for the 3-18 come out? When did the tall turets come out?
Is this scope available to buy now?

Timber, would you mind posting the pics of your turrets? I want to get one of these scopes but I'm having a hard time finding out exactly what it's going to look like. My local store doesn't have a TMOA I can look at, and nobody I talk to seems to know anything about it. The only one I have seen in person is the 3-18x44 ZL version which has these turrets, which I don't care for:
VX6_3_18X44_CDS_ZL_profile-530x452.png

Every 3-18 scope on Leupold's site has CDS. So is the elevation turret the larger M3 type like in the picture posted by Boman? And does anyone know if the custom dial will be engraved with BDC numbers and MOA both, like the standard M3 BDC dials?:
Picture_005_edited-21.jpg

I would appreciate any info on this topic, thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.