Leupold VX3i reported tracking issues -- in the past?

I use a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 on a hunting rifle. I consider it a solid short range (100yard) hunting scope. Low magnification is great but eye relief gets noticeably shorter at higher magnification (4.5"-3.6"). I have no reason to dial for ranges that I use this scope but I shoot a lot and it's held zero very well for three years so far. Like anything else it's always a matter of price vs intended purpose.

I see vx3i 3.5x10 for under 400 bucks all the time. That is alot of scope for 400 bucks and would serve 90% of the hunters during 90% of their shots. I made up the 90 % number. It could be 89 or 91 depending on the day. They are pretty solid general purpose hunting scopes.
Shep

I have a VX 5 that tracks great and returns to zero. I've had it on several guns without any issues. I did work with a guy who missed a big deer with a vx2 or 3 with CDS because it failed to return to zero and he shot way over the bucks back due to dialing up and then back on a prior hunt . I bought a vx6hd 6-24x52 for my 300 Norma Improved build, but my gun builder refused to mount it because in the tests he had done the reticle shifted. I sold the scope and went NXS, which is great, but it doesn't have the features the 6hd had, weighs more, costs more, and doesn't have as good of a warranty as Leupold. I'm also a first responder, but am not aware of any discounts offered currently for LE from Nightforce, but Leupold offers deep discounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.