Leupold VX3i reported tracking issues -- in the past?

So no one that has another opinion from yours can voice it? I'm anti Leupold because they use the Made in America as a selling point not a performance point, dollar for dollar they get dusted every time which is embarrassing!!
My opinion is based of owing them, testing them, dialing in and trouble shooting a lot of rifle issues, I would love nothing more than to be running American made Leupold when they match the quality of all these Asian optics at the same price point I'll be all over them!! I don't have to recognize their greatness, simply passing a tracking test and zero holding test would make me a Leupold fan all day long!!
You are living in the past bro - the new mark5hds will run with any nightforce or S&B. Gotta compare apples to apples and not a VX3i to an NXS. You are like the MSNBC of LRH 😂. Fake news! Lol

Meopta and Zeiss are far superior to Leupold, at least in terms of glass quality. Meopta has much better customer service as well.

As a disclaimer, I own more leupolds than any other scopes, but they are no longer on my primary hunting rifles. They just don't measure up optically. The vx3i in particular is very dim and disappointing for as much as it's been talked up.

Unfortunately you have a better chance of safely walking out of a feminazi convention while wearing a "make me a sammich" t-shirt than you do of saying anything remotely anti-leupold on some sites without getting attacked.
The glass in the VX5HD and VX6HD is as bright and clear as anything out there, night and day difference between the VX3i and the HDs . I had my 4-24x52 out bear hunting in Montana last weekend. Right at the end of legal shooting light down in the trees we saw a bear at 600 yards away. Hard to make it out with the binos. Through the scope up on it and it was like turning on the light brights - I could see all the detail I needed and wanted to see - the details of the ears in relationship to its head, even if it had a crease in its head. Awesome optics...

I am not blindly defending Leupold - my first leupold was a VX5HD. I have since purchased several and I put my stuff through the ringer. At the range a couple times a month running them out to 1250 and I beat the heck out them on my hunts. In and out of scabbards with horses banging them into trees. Strapped to my pack hiking through nasty country, falling down and banging them on rocks. I hunt hard and they have never let me down.

I also fly with my rifles alot - granted, I pack them in a nice boyts case, but it still kills me inside everytime I watch somebody body slam my rifle case onto the conveyor belt at the airport. Never had these VX6HD and VX5HDs lose a zero - ever! I always fear the worst and always check zero and they are always dead on. They continue to track like they have eyes....shrug. So my opinion isnt based on a buddy of a buddy's experience. I am personally putting them through a torture test giving them ample opportunity to fail and they have not.

Last edited:
I wish I could tell you something. I don't know. I found a vx3 that's a new display item for an ok price, not a great deal but an ok deal. I'm itching to try it but Im a little hesitant
I have 3 of th
I have a VX-III that had problems, and Leupold replaced the internal springs. It cost me a WY antelope a few years ago.
I really like the VX-3i series, own a few, and have had no issues.
I never had a tracking problem with any leupold scope
leupd is great about repairing the problems.

I have a vx3i lrp, tracks very well, at least in the 45moa of travel I've used on it.
My cousin had an old vx2 that he had target turrets installed by the custom shop on...that scope is one of those you need to tap to get it settled, but I think if you stick with the leupolds that are meant to be dialed you will be good to go

The glass in the VX5HD and VX6HD is as bright and clear as anything out there, night and day difference between the VX3i and the HDs . I had my 4-24x52 out bear hunting in Montana last weekend. Right at the end of legal shooting light down in the trees we saw a bear at 600 yards away. Hard to make it out with the binos. Through the scope up on it and it was like turning on the light brights - I could see all the detail I needed and wanted to see - the details of the ears in relationship to its head, even if it had a crease in its head. Awesome optics...

I am not blindly defending Leupold - my first leupold was a VX5HD. I have since purchased several and I put my stuff through the ringer. At the range a couple times a month running them out to 1250 and I beat the heck out them on my hunts. In and out of scabbards with horses banging them into trees. Strapped to my pack hiking through nasty country, falling down and banging them on rocks. I hunt hard and they have never let me down.

I also fly with my rifles alot - granted, I pack them in a nice boyts case, but it still kills me inside everytime I watch somebody body slam my rifle case onto the conveyor belt at the airport. Never had these VX6HD and VX5HDs lose a zero - ever! I always fear the worst and always check zero and they are always dead on. They continue to track like they have eyes....shrug. So my opinion isnt based on a buddy of a buddy's experience. I am personally putting them through a torture test giving them ample opportunity to fail and they have not.

If you like them, then that's what matters for you. I terms of glass quality, I have tested them and they are just not on par with similarly priced European scopes.

As far as tracking and focus, I'll give you an example. Today I had 2 Mark 4's at the range to sight in. The first one was all over the place for about 10 shots; up, down, left, right, shots were going 6 to 8" apart on a proven sub MOA rifle. I was about to pull the scope and try a different one when for whatever reason it just clicked into place and started shooting normal groups. No rhyme or reason. We'll see what happens the next time I take it out. The second Mark 4 maintains a consistent zero, but has a terribly out-of-whack parallax dial that completely blurs out the image until you hit the 300 yd setting, no matter how hard you try to focus it. For scopes that are billed as military and law enforcement optics, I think I'd trust the super cheap super sniper over these name brand turds.

If you like them, then that's what matters for you. I terms of glass quality, I have tested them and they are just not on par with similarly priced European scopes.

As far as tracking and focus, I'll give you an example. Today I had 2 Mark 4's at the range to sight in. The first one was all over the place for about 10 shots; up, down, left, right, shots were going 6 to 8" apart on a proven sub MOA rifle. I was about to pull the scope and try a different one when for whatever reason it just clicked into place and started shooting normal groups. No rhyme or reason. We'll see what happens the next time I take it out. The second Mark 4 maintains a consistent zero, but has a terribly out-of-whack parallax dial that completely blurs out the image until you hit the 300 yd setting, no matter how hard you try to focus it. For scopes that are billed as military and law enforcement optics, I think I'd trust the super cheap super sniper over these name brand turds.

Weird how all these people who only quote two scopes have problems with both. My DPT issues mark 4s for decades. One of our guys had his come loose in the back of his patrol car going on a 150 MPH chase which ended in a hostage situation. For whatever reason his mark 4 and rem 700 308 where both still zeroed when he got done beating it around his truck going 150 MPH. Hey I guess our Mark 4s where all defective because they work? When we upgraded scopes and rifles a few months back I bought my mark 4. I guess mines defective too because it tracks and focuses just fine. Almost like Leupold knows what they are doing or something...

The Euro scopes are overrated. I have had swaros and Zeis and messed with enough s&b. The only foreign made scopes I own now are a pair of NXS. The vx5 and vx6 hd have replaced the euros. Their glass quality not only matches, it exceeds a comparably priced swaro.

Weird how all these people who only quote two scopes have problems with both. My DPT issues mark 4s for decades. One of our guys had his come loose in the back of his patrol car going on a 150 MPH chase which ended in a hostage situation. For whatever reason his mark 4 and rem 700 308 where both still zeroed when he got done beating it around his truck going 150 MPH. Hey I guess our Mark 4s where all defective because they work? When we upgraded scopes and rifles a few months back I bought my mark 4. I guess mines defective too because it tracks and focuses just fine. Almost like Leupold knows what they are doing or something...

The Euro scopes are overrated. I have had swaros and Zeis and messed with enough s&b. The only foreign made scopes I own now are a pair of NXS. The vx5 and vx6 hd have replaced the euros. Their glass quality not only matches, it exceeds a comparably priced swaro.

Ok, libtard, it's obvious that you want to buy my leupolds. Here are the 2 in question. I have about 2 dozen other ones, but let's start with these.

Since you insist that they are perfect, with no issues, then I'll expect your offer to reflect that perfection, as well as the inflated value that you put on all leupolds. No lowballing. They are Leupolds. I probably even have the boxes yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0093 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0093 - Copy.JPG
    574.5 KB · Views: 111
I am fascinated by the members here that universally have had bad experiences with Leupold scopes. "All mine have been junk", "all my shooting friends have had theirs fail" or "a whole bunch of my customers, clients have had multiple fail". I don't know if I am lucky or if others are just unlucky. My FX-3 6X42mm has been on my 30-06 and has been on S AZ hunts where its hot during the day and been dropped hard. It has also spent 10 days in a saddle scabbard at 20 deg and survived a hard fall by my horse. Over the 20 years it has been solid, but of course I am an old fudd and do not dial it up and down. Now days I shoot in silhouette, PRS and NRL22 matches. For more than two years have been dialing multiple Leupold's up and down on a monthly basis for for about 80 rounds a month at least on several scopes (most VX-3i LRP's some FX-3 Silhouette). The silhouette crowd I shoot with use the Leupold scopes and dial them up and down match after match year after year and yet the keep on running them. I do not doubt those that have had a bad experience but really scratch my head when in all my varied shooting there has been no issue and then you get shooters that have universally had nothing but failed Lupy's.

And the beat goes on...and the beat goes on. Meanwhile something cool. It's a film on the Leupold site about the deployment of the Oregon NG to Afghanistan. Narrated by Donald Trump Jr. with music by Zac Brown from 2010.

Good vid. My first trip over there was '08.

Ok, libtard, it's obvious that you want to buy my leupolds. Here are the 2 in question. I have about 2 dozen other ones, but let's start with these.

Since you insist that they are perfect, with no issues, then I'll expect your offer to reflect that perfection, as well as the inflated value that you put on all leupolds. No lowballing. They are Leupolds. I probably even have the boxes yet.
1. Whenever somebody feels the need to tell you "it's obvious" immediately dismiss the hag they have to say.

2. I don't need another glass as I don't have a rifle that needs a glass.

3. If I was getting a new glass it would be a vx5 and shave some weight.

4. I said my and all my dpts mark 4s have been perfect with no issues.

Anything else? Or would you just like to report messages and get them flagged by Len so I have to change my name again?

IF you listen to what ANYONE on the net says about Leupolds you're foolish.

There are three kinds of Leupold haters:
1. Never owned one
2. Can't afford one
3. Chinese bots.

Think I'm "down" to around 15 dating from ancient to new. No issues.

Heck Leupold even mounted a Leupold Alaskan in a set of G&H solid rings for me AT NO CHARGE.

Guessing most haters have never even seen a 7/8" tube Pioneer !

I personally have only sent one back for myself and it was a muzzleloader scope on a tc encore 50 call. It definitely broke. But that gun was breaking me too till I put a muzzlebrake on it. I sent one back for a customer. 2 scopes in 30 yrs of smithing. I have never sent a Nikon back and I sold a slew of them. I know Nikon's break down alot because of how many refurbished ones the sell. I just never got one.
Now as far as Leupold glass being as good or better than swaro or Zeiss. Bull hockey. No way. Even the vx6hd isn't close. I built smokeless muzzleloaders for 3 clients and one put a vx6hd on his the other 2 used vortex viper pst gen 1s that were on sale for 495. None of us could see any difference in the glass quality. Zeiss v4 and v6 are much brighter and crisper. The last swaros I had in I wanted to permanently mount them to my face. Everything looked better looking through them. I have no problems with leupolds and own or have owned at least 30 of them. 1 cheaper Leupold on a hard kicking rifle doesn't make me feel any less about them. But my hunting rifles I use over and over have Zeiss on them. I love that glass.
Shep

400 Holland & Holland, Leupold 1-4

400H&H.jpg

400 Whelen 2.5X Leupold Alaskan

elk2997.jpg

375 H&H Leupold 2-7

ruger No 1s copy.jpg

300 H&H 3-9 Leupold

IMG_2810.jpg

300 H&H Old Leupold 3-9

IMG_2511.jpg

All hard kickers, no problems.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts