Leupold VX3i reported tracking issues -- in the past?

VXIII's stopped being made before Vortex even came into existence, no? Funny that guys always tend to bring up the VXIII's and VX2's and riflemans and how they dont track and that means all leupold scopes have tracking problems. Those scopes were never designed to have turrets spun. If you wanted to compare your VXIII to a Vortex crossfire, that would probably be a reasonable comparison.
I never had or mentioned a VXII or rifleman. And no, the Vortex wasn't out yet. So when a better scope option was produced to compete with the VXIII quality vs price point, I tried them out and never looked back.
I have Swaro's & Zeiss, NF, but those are pretty stiff $$. So for the most part now, I choose Vortex Viper's.
Right now I do have an ARKEN on order, we'll see how that performs next.

And the beat goes on...and the beat goes on. Meanwhile something cool. It's a film on the Leupold site about the deployment of the Oregon NG to Afghanistan. Narrated by Donald Trump Jr. with music by Zac Brown from 2010.

Last edited:
I used to sell Leupold scopes. No more. Complaints are common. Tracking was the number 1 problem. I moved to Zeiss and Meopta. To say that they are a lot more expensive than the Leupods is not accurate. You can buy a VX3i 4.5-14x50 online for 600.00. Zeiss v4 4-16x44 for 700.00. The quality of glass is not comparable. Then move up from there. VX6HD vs V6 about the same again. While Zeiss does lack in the "cool factor" it more than makes up for it in quality. They are not what they used to be, today Leupold is just a name of yesteryears.

I have an older VX-III Leupold and I've never had a tracking problem. That being said, I hear more about new Leupolds having tracking issues than any other major brand. In my opinion, they're a little too expensive for what they are and if they don't track then you're just buying a name.
Leupold does come with a lifetime warranty and would take any problem scope back !

If anyone has a Vx3 8.5-25x50 with capped tall turrets that they hate and would like to sell at a dirt cheap price I would be interested. Lol.
LOL! I have your scope, it sits on a AR pasture poodle popper! I picked it up almost a year ago at a sportsman's show used, excellent like new shape for $500.00. I have also picked up 3- 6.5 x 20 x 50s on here from some great folks. I would think I currently own more Leupolds than the majority of folks, well over 20. Some many years old most are fairly recent (last 10 years). I have had to send 1 handgun scope back that was new last year as it had a speck inside the eyepiece lens. Taken care of by Leupold no problems. I also currently own 2-Swarovski and 1-Steiner. #1 reason I purchase Leupold, MADE IN USA #2 Excellent quality #3 Awesome customer service! I will be ordering a new MK5 next month as soon as I get my new .300 out to plink.

Although this is non of the models that have been mentioned. I had 2 mark AR scopes fail on me. They did repair/replace them but that's a whole other story. The 6-18 failed first, it had the .223/556 BDC capped turret. It was replaced by a MIL exposed turret model. They did not ask me if that was ok, or what I wanted, that's just what they sent back. Which it turns out, that's exactly what I wanted . So, great!!! Scope failed and they replaced it with a better, more personalized scope.

Second was a 4-12 with .223/556 capped turrets. Scope stopped tracking/adjusting exactly like the 6-18. So I sent it in and asked if they couple replace it with an exposed mil turret like they did on the other one, they said sure..... then sent me a bill for around $120 or so dollars from the custom shop!!! Oh hell no!! I told them NO, and asked for it to be fixed or replaced with the same model/turrets.

So the send it back with exposed turrets, 1/2 MOA adjustments with a .300 BLK turret Installed. So that pretty much seals the deal for me on their "customer service"
Leupold does come with a lifetime warranty and would take any problem scope back !
Although I shoot mostly zeiss ,Leopold's lifetime warranty is nice and no hassle !

Everybody knows you are anti leupold...you have made that clear on several threads.

Leupold has come out with some great products and some people have their head so far up their *** they can't recognize that.

Any glass snob would know there is Tangent Theta and then everybody else when it comes to tracking and zero holding. Nightforces don't track any better than other brands in the same price range.

At the end of the day the VX3i is a $600 optic. It needs to be compared to other $600 optics - they are for the most part comparable in that price range when it comes to features and reliability.

What you get with Leupold is american made, lighweight scope that tracks and functions perfectly fine.

So no one that has another opinion from yours can voice it? I'm anti Leupold because they use the Made in America as a selling point not a performance point, dollar for dollar they get dusted every time which is embarrassing!!
My opinion is based of owing them, testing them, dialing in and trouble shooting a lot of rifle issues, I would love nothing more than to be running American made Leupold when they match the quality of all these Asian optics at the same price point I'll be all over them!! I don't have to recognize their greatness, simply passing a tracking test and zero holding test would make me a Leupold fan all day long!!

I used to sell Leupold scopes. No more. Complaints are common. Tracking was the number 1 problem. I moved to Zeiss and Meopta. To say that they are a lot more expensive than the Leupods is not accurate. You can buy a VX3i 4.5-14x50 online for 600.00. Zeiss v4 4-16x44 for 700.00. The quality of glass is not comparable. Then move up from there. VX6HD vs V6 about the same again. While Zeiss does lack in the "cool factor" it more than makes up for it in quality. They are not what they used to be, today Leupold is just a name of yesteryears.

Meopta and Zeiss are far superior to Leupold, at least in terms of glass quality. Meopta has much better customer service as well.

As a disclaimer, I own more leupolds than any other scopes, but they are no longer on my primary hunting rifles. They just don't measure up optically. The vx3i in particular is very dim and disappointing for as much as it's been talked up.

Unfortunately you have a better chance of safely walking out of a feminazi convention while wearing a "make me a sammich" t-shirt than you do of saying anything remotely anti-leupold on some sites without getting attacked.

Meopta and Zeiss are far superior to Leupold, at least in terms of glass quality. Meopta has much better customer service as well.

As a disclaimer, I own more leupolds than any other scopes, but they are no longer on my primary hunting rifles. They just don't measure up optically. The vx3i in particular is very dim and disappointing for as much as it's been talked up.

Unfortunately you have a better chance of safely walking out of a feminazi convention while wearing a "make me a sammich" t-shirt than you do of saying anything remotely anti-leupold on some sites without getting attacked.
There has been a lot of discussion about Luepolds issues without attack. I think though that when you have 100 people say great product of which some say run it in matches for years and even cashed some checks, and then a guy says they are complete crap, had 7 of them and every one had a catastrophic fail people raise an eyebrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.