Leupold VX3i reported tracking issues -- in the past?

Glass quality wise My vx3is are a bit clearer but I believe that's due to them being newer and the vx3 have hundreds more hours hunted with, dirt, dust, water, grime on the lenses over the years... with that being said the vx3 finish seems a shade more durable than the vx3is I have.

These people talking about how poorly the vx6 track can come watch the next time I take my WSM, RUM and 300WBY past 1000. Anybody in the southern middle Tennessee area can shoot me a PM if interested.

I have 2 nightforce NXS I have had swaros. The leupolds don't beat the NXS IMO as I prefer the MOAR to the leupold T MOA but that's kinda subjective.
Your probably not to far from me. I'm less than 10 minutes south of Lawrence & Giles county

Leupold probably sells more scopes in a day at all price ranges than NF does in a year, and all their scopes are high dollar. So yeah, by sheer numbers, more Leupolds will fail. More $400 Dells will fail than $1200 Macbooks. More Fords than Lexus. Logic often fails at the internet level.

Last edited:
Saw quite a few posts over the 'net about reported Leupold tracking issues.....not only for the 3i models but also the 5's. Haven't seen much over last year or so. Was it real issue? If so, do you think it's in the past? FYI.....looking at 3i side focus model.
I never had a tracking problem with any leupold scope

Saw quite a few posts over the 'net about reported Leupold tracking issues.....not only for the 3i models but also the 5's. Haven't seen much over last year or so. Was it real issue? If so, do you think it's in the past? FYI.....looking at 3i side focus model.
I think it was just a few vocal people. I have several of the VX5HDs and a VX6HD- they all track like they have eyes. I am liking the new 3i with the locking turret.

I have a VX3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm that I put on my hunting rifle and it tracked well in my box test. I'm happy with it so far.

Wondering how many have actually put their Leupolds in a tracking and zero holding tester and actually know the numbers they track at through the whole range and how much they move zero with each shot, Oh and how much zero moves when you change power too. If an optic failed they typical box test it would be grossly out of wack, box tests are really a joke if your wanting to honestly know what your tracking at.

I have a 3i lrp. Function is perfect. My only personal gripe is the obnoxiously large elevation turret.
Yeah, I think it would be a dandy scope and have saw some reasonable prices on them. If they would streamline the elevation turret just a little bit it would look nicer.

I have 3 3iLRP's one gets a monthly workout for two years now on a 6.5C at PRS matches and no problems. One on a 22 running in NRL22 matches and it is running fine. The third is on PRS backup & hunting rifle working fine.

Wondering how many have actually put their Leupolds in a tracking and zero holding tester and actually know the numbers they track at through the whole range and how much they move zero with each shot, Oh and how much zero moves when you change power too. If an optic failed they typical box test it would be grossly out of wack, box tests are really a joke if your wanting to honestly know what your tracking at.
Everybody knows you are anti leupold...you have made that clear on several threads.

Leupold has come out with some great products and some people have their head so far up their *** they can't recognize that.

Any glass snob would know there is Tangent Theta and then everybody else when it comes to tracking and zero holding. Nightforces don't track any better than other brands in the same price range.

At the end of the day the VX3i is a $600 optic. It needs to be compared to other $600 optics - they are for the most part comparable in that price range when it comes to features and reliability.

What you get with Leupold is american made, lighweight scope that tracks and functions perfectly fine.

Last edited:
I've had 4 different leupold scopes all VXIII's every one of them had tracking issues. The 4.5x14x40 a.o. went back to Leupold 3x, and then only tracked slightly better.
I'm having much more reliability from Vortex scopes. They are VERY good for the $$$.
my .02 cents

I've had 4 different leupold scopes all VXIII's every one of them had tracking issues. The 4.5x14x40 a.o. went back to Leupold 3x, and then only tracked slightly better.
I'm having much more reliability from Vortex scopes. They are VERY good for the $$$.
my .02 cents
VXIII's stopped being made before Vortex even came into existence, no? Funny that guys always tend to bring up the VXIII's and VX2's and riflemans and how they dont track and that means all leupold scopes have tracking problems. Those scopes were never designed to have turrets spun. If you wanted to compare your VXIII to a Vortex crossfire, that would probably be a reasonable comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.