Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm

Dano1

I found a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm Long Range scope (30mm tube) with side Parallax Adj. and the German Varmit Hunter's reticle and Target turrets for $765. I had looked at these before and thought that they were a good Mid to Long range scope. At that price, (I've seen them from $950-$850), I thought it was a good deal.

I bought it, and I put it on my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero. It looks like it would be a good fit for this combination.

Have any of you tried this scope? Anything, that you would suggest? I already bought it, so the suggestions for a diffrent scope won't matter. But fire away! :rolleyes:

Anyway, it seemed like a great deal and something along the lines I was looking for.

Dan

Luepold is like Nike in some ways, they change the names faster than I can keep track of them but the scopes are basically the same. I often just type V3 to avoid trying to remember exactly which of the VX-III models I am talking about.

You will see a lot of gold rings at long range competition events second only to the Nightforces.

I have a VariX III AO that is about 25 years old and has been hunted with every year and it still does a great job for what it is - 3.5-10X-40mm- a hardwood forest close range scope that can be stretched to about 400-500 yards if necessary. I put aftermarket knobs on it and it dials up and down just fine after all these years.

I have some kind of V3 6.5-20X-50mm that I bought new about four years ago. It has side focus, target turrets, 30mm tube and fine plex. I mostly hunt antelope out in Wyoming with it; but, sometimes I will hunt eastern whitetails with it. It is a great scope. I have made shots at 600 yards, 686 yards, 800 yards, 860yards, and 1140 yards with it. While it does not have the light gathering ability of a 56 mm scope, it will still does so much better than a 40mm scope. I have not used it extensively under a lot of low light conditions, but I used it this Fall here in the east and could see to shoot at exactly 30 minutes before sunrise for a range of about 500 yards (which is all the distance I bothered to check) and that was on 20X. It was not one of those really overcast days so I can't say it was a severe test of the scope's ability. There has never been any problem with the scope functioning properly under any condition.

In good light, the scope should be adequate as far as resolution of the target for any big game animal out to around 1400 + yards. Depends on your eyesight how far you can see under bad light.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts