Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 vrs Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50 vrs Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 For hunting and long range fun....

I've not experienced, but I've heard the same. The reason I went with the VX-5HD over the NX8 or AMG for my build was due to the 9.2 oz weight difference. On a rifle weighing only 7.5 lbs I was trying to minimize scope weight. If it has tracking issues I'll send it back for warranty and then sell it. Then I'll just accept a 9oz weight penalty and put on the NX8 (which I personally prefer to the AMG due to reticle).

NightForce is my first go-to. If I got a Leupold and I'd considered it . I'd get the MK5 . I just haven't been seeing the reticle selection being very great to my liking. If it came with a G2 reticle. I'd own one already.

In my opinion, the other two are a distant second to the AMG. Better glass and at least as good tracking and repeatability as the NX8. To me, better eyebox and parallax than the NX8. I do t consider the VX 6 to be the same class as the other two. And yes I've owned all three.

I can't comment on the Leupolds as I have never owned one of their top tier scopes.

I have both NX8 2.5x20 and 4x32. Both are on gas guns rather than my primary hunting rifles. They work fine but to me can be a little more finicky than I like on eyebox limits and parallax adjustment. I generally shoot both at the upper limits of magnification, most often off a tripod at steel. I would not go so far as to say the NX8 would make a poor hunting scope, I just have another personal preference.

I have two AMGs which reside on my two lighter weight bolt hunting rifles. I live out west and have open country so I again tend to take shots at higher magnification, most often while sitting. The AMGs to me strike a very nice balance of what I want in a hunting scope and I didn't pay $2500 for either of them.

I gave up on the idea of shooting at running game with a rifle and so having 6x or 4x as a lower magnification range or having a FFP scope have not been issues to me. If I often hunted in heavy cover, I might feel differently.

I have six VX6 HD scopes on my rifles now and would buy six more if I needed them. Great scopes in my opinion and track flawlessly.

Well, as much as you all have convinced me that the Vortex and the Nightforce would both be good choices, perhaps better in some ways, after doing a lot more research, I think a second focal plane scope may be better for me. I am not going to use the scope to range targets, so stability of the reticle is an advantage to me when hunting, which is the serious part of this scope's job. So I am very much leaning towards the VX-6HD.

Well, as much as you all have convinced me that the Vortex and the Nightforce would both be good choices, perhaps better in some ways, after doing a lot more research, I think a second focal plane scope may be better for me. I am not going to use the scope to range targets, so stability of the reticle is an advantage to me when hunting, which is the serious part of this scope's job. So I am very much leaning towards the VX-6HD.
Great call - you'll love it! I hate FFP scopes for hunting.

I don't know anyone who uses ffp to range, it's not practical anymore with good range finders. Ffp is so you can use your holds on any power without having to be on one power especially if it's at the top of the mag range without any fov.

I don't know anyone who uses ffp to range, it's not practical anymore with good range finders. Ffp is so you can use your holds on any power without having to be on one power especially if it's at the top of the mag range without any fov.
Once again, if you are going to dial for wind and elevation and you have a rangefinder, FFPs are a pointless. They are pretty much useless on lower powers, especially against dark backgrounds unless you turn on your illumination.

Once again, if you are going to dial for wind and elevation and you have a rangefinder, FFPs are a pointless. They are pretty much useless on lower powers, especially against dark backgrounds unless you turn on your illumination.
I rarely dial elevation and wind unless I'am shooting paper. It's much easier to use ffp for wind and change quickly with the environmental conditions.

Holdovers are for shooting pieces of metal for fun or sport competition. Shooting a live animal where wounding it would be nightmarish ethically, means dialing in, IMHO....... Although my Leica 1200 is no longer close to the best made, it was at the time and still works well for my distances. If I get the current project shooting well, upgrading the rangefinder will be the next step!

Holdovers are for shooting pieces of metal for fun or sport competition. Shooting a live animal where wounding it would be nightmarish ethically, means dialing in, IMHO....... Although my Leica 1200 is no longer close to the best made, it was at the time and still works well for my distances. If I get the current project shooting well, upgrading the rangefinder will be the next step!
The wind changes, as well as making a quick elevation correction. Holding insted of dialing makes no difference unless your dope is off.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.