Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 vrs Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50 vrs Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 For hunting and long range fun....

cdherman

OK, looking for a light 25x ish power scope. 6x would be "highest" low starting point, and honestly, not to my liking. 4 or 5 would be better.

The Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 weighs 25.9 oz and is the winner in weight category. 34mm tube, which I am meh about since I doubt I need that much elevation, but OK. Leupold has excellent warranty and can be had for $1850 right now in once reticle version.

Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50 weights 28.8oz. 30mm tube. Vortex has a pretty stellar warranty too. The 6x starting point troubles me. Sometimes things happen much closer than you expect. Looks to be around $2500

Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 28.6 oz, 30mm tube, around $2150 I think. Nightforce warranty is transferrable, but they clearly state its for materials and workmanship only. So less coverage than with Vortex and arguably Leupold

March is light, but if you need repairs you have to ship to Japan. And the warranty is much poorer.

I get it, the best warranty is the one you never need. But things happen.

I am wondering if anyone with experience can comment or compare these scopes...... Optical quality? Other issues?

I have several Leupolds, and would rather not put all my eggs in one basket. I'd like to have a Vortex. The 6x starting point saddens me. Were it 5 or 4, I think it would be a done deal.....

The true street pricing for the AMG is much lower than the $2500, definitely available from some sources under $2k.

If you want something bulletproof in tracking, the NF will be your best bet, followed by AMG and then Leupold. I just bought a VX-5HD for a lightweight build but I don't have much faith in its tracking, so I got it with the Impact 29 reticle. I'll do tracking tests occasionally to see how it does and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

With AMG, they have great warranty. I just don't want to have to use it, and it does seem to come up a bunch. If mostly for a range gun that is not a big deal. I just don't want to be on an expensive or once in a lifetime hunt and have the scope have issues. Me personally, I wouldn't use Vortex for something like that.

OK, looking for a light 25x ish power scope. 6x would be "highest" low starting point, and honestly, not to my liking. 4 or 5 would be better.

The Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 weighs 25.9 oz and is the winner in weight category. 34mm tube, which I am meh about since I doubt I need that much elevation, but OK. Leupold has excellent warranty and can be had for $1850 right now in once reticle version.

Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50 weights 28.8oz. 30mm tube. Vortex has a pretty stellar warranty too. The 6x starting point troubles me. Sometimes things happen much closer than you expect. Looks to be around $2500

Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 28.6 oz, 30mm tube, around $2150 I think. Nightforce warranty is transferrable, but they clearly state its for materials and workmanship only. So less coverage than with Vortex and arguably Leupold

March is light, but if you need repairs you have to ship to Japan. And the warranty is much poorer.

I get it, the best warranty is the one you never need. But things happen.

I am wondering if anyone with experience can comment or compare these scopes...... Optical quality? Other issues?

I have several Leupolds, and would rather not put all my eggs in one basket. I'd like to have a Vortex. The 6x starting point saddens me. Were it 5 or 4, I think it would be a done deal.....
I have the VX6HD 4-24x52 - love it. I take it out to 1250 a couple times a month at the range. It is on my favorite rifle that gets all the work right now. I have flown with it several times, been in horse scabbards, banged into trees, rolled down mountains with it, continues to track and continues to hold zero. Sweet scope!

I believe you have to step into the next price range up to find something better than the NX8 and even at that I question if it is worth it. I have used every high end scope but the Schmidts and Zeros. The NX8 is my favorite. I am even considering getting rid of my ATACR for another NX8

I believe you have to step into the next price range up to find something better than the NX8 and even at that I question if it is worth it. I have used every high end scope but the Schmidts and Zeros. The NX8 is my favorite. I am even considering getting rid of my ATACR for another NX8
Which power range do you like in the NX8?

Have been a Leupold guy the last 3 years with a few VX-6 scopes and a few VX-5HDs, but recently diversified for my latest build and went with 4-32 NX8.......no regrets at all. Love the MOA reticle on NX8.

Look at field of view not just lowest mag. The amg field of view rivals 5x on many scopes and almost equals 4x on others.

Not recommending that scope, just saying not all 4x is the same view across scopes.

Hmm... Well at least no one has said thus far that ANY of these choices are bad ones! Leaning towards the AMG because I've always been a sucker for a good warranty. But the NX8 positive statements are nice.

Leaning away from the Leupy, given the rumors of poor tracking, and that I have several already. I have several Zeiss scopes too, really love the glass. But I don't want to find out that the warranty sucks someday on multiple scopes in my safe.....

Hmm... Well at least no one has said thus far that ANY of these choices are bad ones! Leaning towards the AMG because I've always been a sucker for a good warranty. But the NX8 positive statements are nice.

Leaning away from the Leupy, given the rumors of poor tracking, and that I have several already. I have several Zeiss scopes too, really love the glass. But I don't want to find out that the warranty sucks someday on multiple scopes in my safe.....
The poor tracking rumors are just that. Leupold's high end stuff tracks just as well as nightforce or s&b or kahles. 1). Leupold sales waaayy more scopes than nightforce. Its a numbers game. I would bet same amount of leupolds go back as nightforces in the same price class. 2) guys buy one of their lower end scopes from 20 years ago, throw a cds turret on it and complain it doesnt track. Those scopes were never meant to be spun like that.

The guys are who actually using the VX6HDs and the Mark5hds are happy with their performance. Leupold upped their game with these HD scopes.

I have owned two Leupold VX-6 scopes, and was not impressed by the mechanicals of either. The glass seemed very good to me. However, one scope did not track well and had slight reticle cant. The other scope would not hold zero. Both were repaired under warranty and then promptly sold. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't buy the Leupold!

I bought one (8-32) for the wifes 22Dasher..**** its a nice little scope. I compared it to the Atacr and other high end optics..was very impressed. I am also considering moving my Atacr to a heavy prone shooting rifle and getting more NX8 on my hunting rifles..!!

After having tracking issues with a vx6, and a vx5 I'd steer clear of any Leupold for a long range precision scope with the exception of the MK5/mk8 line.
They are the only scopes Leupold makes that will track reliably, just go to a few matches and see how many VX scopes are being used.

I really dig my AMG, it's about the perfect LR hunting optic in my opinion, and trust me it's in an entirely different class than the vx6 line.
I got mine for $1800 BTW
This^

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.