Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm standard duplex or fine. . .opinions of the two.

STEEL SLINGER

I am in the process of ordering a VX-5HD and I'm not able to put my hands on one for my own satisfaction. I would like to know which reticle you have and why you chose that one? From pictures the heavy lines on the standard duplex look to be rather in tight while the fine duplex looks to be more spacious. Thoughts and opinions from experienced people who have handled or used both please. Thank you.
Leupold 3-15x56mm

I know the firedot duplex is too thick for target shooting past ~500 yards as it covers too much of the target. It's fine for deer sized targets. I have not looked through the fine firedot to compare it. I prefer the TMOA and Impact reticles.

The VX-5 in the 3-15x56mm only comes in two reticle choices, both illuminated and options are duplex or fine. I have not looked through the VX-5HD with the illuminated reticle, but if it is the same duplex reticle as the VX-R model, which I have on my crossbow, then I would like the standard duplex. I just do not want extremely thick crosshairs.

I ended up ordering the standard duplex and was very happy I did! It arrived yesterday and I made it home from work this evening with enough daylight to get it mounted up and look around the back yard and distant tree line. Cross hairs are not thick at all, actually I think thinner than my VX-R. I do agree that with the reticle lit even on the lowest setting it would not work for 500+ yard shots at small targets (prairie dog heads). . .but, with the battery out or turned over it will be just fine. Prime-time o'dark thirty is bright and clear and I can see deer at the tree line nicely at 210 yards! I will not be able to shoot until next weekend, but so far very happy with my purchase.